Perry said he had planned to remain anonymous, but "due to some circumstances" news of the generous act leaked, and he chose to post a video on Twitter revealing which stores' layaway tabs he paid.
News that Perry donated $432,635 to the stores.
The Nobody's Fool director confessed he "was trying to do this anonymously", in a Twitter video posted on Thursday.
'I have paid for all of your layaways for Christmas, ' said Perry.
Tyler Perry paid off more than $400,000 worth of layaways at two Georgia Walmart stores.
"I know it's hard times, everyone's struggling and I'm just really, really grateful to be able to be in a position to do this", he said. "You've got to go into the Walmart, pay a penny - one penny - and you get your layaway".
Perry took to his social media accounts to explain that he meant to keep the kind gesture completely anonymous, but the word quickly got out. "Merry Christmas", Perry said to close his video. "The heartfelt excitement and joy we're seeing from our customers as a result of his holiday gift has been touching". Thank you Tyler for this attractive gift!
Like Perry, Benson had hoped to remain anonymous, but enough media outlets picked up the story that the New Orleans Saints confirmed her good deed on Thursday.
- Trump Nominates New Attorney General
- Easy for Real Madrid in Spanish Copa del Rey
- Cardinals strike gold, get Goldschmidt from Diamondbacks
- Mozilla is deeply concerned about Microsoft killing EdgeHTML
- BT Pulls Huawei Kit From EE's 4G Network
- Trump intends to nominate William Barr as next attorney general
- 3 astronauts dock safely at International Space Station
- Hawaiian Monk Seal Gets Eel Stuck Up Its Nose
- Cardi B's Baby Kulture Kiari Cephus Photo
- William and Kate to make Christmas visit to troops