Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray is adding to his trophy case.
No. 4-ranked OU, which behind Murray leads the nation in points per game (49.5), yards per game (577.9) and yards per play (8.7; FBS record is 8.6), will make its 52nd bowl appearance when it takes on No. 1 Alabama in the College Football Playoff Semifinal at the Capital One Orange Bowl on December 29 at 7 p.m. CT.
Tagovailoa took home the Walter Camp Award as well as the Maxwell Award, both of which honor the nation's top player. He beat out Oklahoma's Kyler Murray and West Virginia's Will Grier for the award.
If Murray wins, it would be OU's seventh Heisman Trophy. The Davey O'Brien Award honors the nation's top quarterback each year.
Murray was drafted by the A's in the first round of the 2018 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft and said he would give up football after playing this season with the Sooners. He's on pace to best Baker Mayfield's all-time single-season passing efficiency mark, as well has his record yards per attempt benchmark. The 5-foot-9 signal-caller led the Sooners to a College Football Playoff berth while throwing for 4,053 yards and 40 touchdowns and rushing for 892 yards with 11 scores.
The victor of the award will be announced Saturday in New York City. The past four Maxwell winners and past five Walter Camp winners have all gone on to win the Heisman. He received a $4.6 million signing bonus from the A's with the expectation that this would be his last season on the gridiron. "I think that everybody should look at the whole body of work when they're deciding who the best player is".
- Why Was George H.W. Bush Called Poppy Bush?
- Mortal Kombat 11’s Custom Character Variation System Will Give Players Creative Control
- I'm ready to fight Deontay Wilder or Tyson Fury: Anthony Joshua
- The sound of Mars
- Search for Grace Millane now murder investigation
- Bucks Acquire Jason Smith From Wizards As Part Of Three-Way Trade
- New tool diagnoses cancer in 10 minutes
- Three Takeaways as Trump Picks Former Fox Anchor for UN Envoy Post
- Seattle woman dies after contracting rare form of brain-eating amoeba
- Merkel says her party must look to the future