Despite favorable reaction from the baseball world on both teams' hauls, Arizona fans weren't exactly pleased to see the star first baseman sent off to St. Louis.
The trade: St. Louis Cardinals acquire 1B Paul Goldschmidt from the Arizona Diamondbacks for right-handed starting pitcher Luke Weaver, C Carson Kelly, infielder Andy Young and a Round B compensation pick in the 2019 draft.
A six-time All-Star at 31, Goldschmidt was among the top players available in the trade market. The Cardinals believed they needed a boost in the middle of their lineup to compete with the likes of Milwaukee and the Cubs in the NL Central. Goldschmidt debut with the Diamondbacks on August 1, 2011, it has been a great run with Goldie in a Dbacks uniform.
"I would like to personally thank Paul Goldschmidt for everything he did as a D-back", said D-backs Executive Vice President & General Manager Mike Hazen. The Washington Nationals signed Patrick Corbin to a six-year 140 million dollar contract.
He has compiled a career.297 batting average, 209 home runs, and 710 RBI. If there was no trade, the Diamondbacks faced the prospect of Goldschmidt leaving as a free agent after next season. Weaver recorded 25 starts with a 4.95 ERA and 121 strike outs. The team might be looking to make another splash this winter after missing the playoffs for the past three seasons.
- Ex-FBI director Comey grilled again in US Congress
- Ex-MLBers Luis Valbuena, Jose Castillo Die In Car Crash In Venezuela
- From Baikonur started the spaceship "Soyuz" with the ISS
- Wisconsin's Walker weighing bill signings
- Cardi B's Baby Kulture Kiari Cephus Photo
- 3 astronauts dock safely at International Space Station
- Joe Gomez ruled out until 2019 with fractured leg
- Here's Every Video Game On Sale For The Game Awards
- Trump Nominates New Attorney General
- Trump is leading US trade negotiations with China: Mnuchin