William "Bill" Barr, a former attorney general under President George H.W. Bush, is emerging as a consensus candidate to succeed Jeff Sessions as attorney general, two sources familiar with President Donald Trump's thinking tell CNN.
If confirmed by the Senate, he would replace acting Attorney General Matthew G. Whitaker, who took over in November for fired Attorney General Jeff Sessions.
Juan Williams and former Bush adviser Karl Rove sparred over the qualifications of a top potential pick for U.S. Attorney General. "He's the kind of person who could get confirmed".
President Trump said Friday he will nominate William Barr to replace Jeff Sessions as his attorney general, and State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert as the next USA ambassador to the UN. Sessions's chief of staff, Matthew Whitaker, is now serving as acting attorney general.
After leaving the Justice Department, Barr served as the general counsel and executive vice president of Verizon Communications but retired from the role in 2008.
The president called him a "highly respected lawyer" by both Republicans and Democrats and "a terrific man" while speaking to reporters on the White House South Lawn.
Mr. Barr served as attorney general from 1991 to 1993 under Mr.
"I did not know him until recently when I went through the process of looking at people", Mr. Trump said.
Democrats won't be encouraged to learn that he expressed support for Donald Trump's firing of FBI Director James Comey and recommended further investigation of Democrat Hillary Clinton.
Prior to joining the Justice Department, Barr worked with the White House Domestic Policy staff for a year under then-President Ronald Reagan.
At the Justice Department, Barr's work ranged from combatting violent crime to investigation the Pan Am 103 bombing.
"In my view, prosecutors who make political contributions are identifying fairly strongly with a political party".
He was my first choice from day one.
Barr, a Columbia University graduate, worked at the Central Intelligence Agency while attending the George Washington University Law School at night.
- 'Bullying is unacceptable' - OH dad's punishment for misbehaving daughter goes viral
- Here's Every Video Game On Sale For The Game Awards
- Kevin Hart stepping down as Oscars host
- CNN's NYC Headquarters Evacuated After Bomb Threat
- Yep, Jake Gyllenhaal Is Playing Mysterio in 'Spider-Man: Far From Home'
- Brie Larson battles in space in the new Captain Marvel trailer
- Housekeeper at Trump's New Jersey golf club tells newspaper she is undocumented
- Senate Resolution Would Fault Saudi Prince for Khashoggi Death
- Supreme Court rejects environmental challenge to border wall
- Trump intends to nominate William Barr as next attorney general