After the hatch opened at 2:37 p.m.
She launched from the Russian-leased Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan at 11:31 GMT with two other crew members.
He continued by saying that this is only the beginning of his discoveries and awe that lies ahead of him over the next six months. That mission will launch to the ISS Feb. 28 and return in October.
The three crew members will spend more than six months conducting hundreds of science investigations in fields such as biology, Earth science, human research, physical sciences and technology development, providing the foundation for continuing human spaceflight beyond low-Earth orbit to the Moon and Mars.
"We feel very ready for it", she said. "As the African proverb says, if we choose to go alone, we might go fast, but if we go together we go farther". "Everything looking good, vehicle is stable - good first stage performance". Had the rocket not reached orbit, the station might have been left unoccupied for a time.
"That was particularly important for me when I was growing up and I certainly wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for Canada's early space program and, kind of, the heroes that pushed that forward", she said.
The latest trip comes less than two months after a previous mission on October 11 failed, when two astronauts from the USA and Russian Federation were forced to make an emergency landing, as a result of a problem with the booster. They are scheduled to return to Earth on December 20.
Russian Federation said last month the launch failed because of a sensor that was damaged during assembly at the Baikonur cosmodrome but insisted the spacecraft remained reliable.
This is the first spaceflight for both McClain and Saint-Jacques and the fourth trip to the space station for Kononenko.
Former astronaut Robert Thirsk said the schedule will be especially busy for the trio.
The mission, Soyuz MS-11, took off from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan on December 3, with three astronauts on board: Anne McClain (NASA), David Saint-Jacques (Canadian Space Agency), and Oleg Konenenko (Roscosmos).
- Brexit deal debate continues in House of Commons
- CNN's NYC Headquarters Evacuated After Bomb Threat
- This Country Is Making All Public Transit Free
- World markets down after arrest of Huawei executive
- Millwall Draw Hull City In The FA Cup Third Round
- Looks Like a New Far Cry Will Be Announced Early Friday Morning
- 'Bullying is unacceptable' - OH dad's punishment for misbehaving daughter goes viral
- Family: Body found in Costa Rica belongs to Florida woman
- Things We Learned From Manchester United and Arsenal's Entertaining Draw
- Chinese Tech Giant Huawei's CFO Arrested Abroad, Faces Extradition To US