The Bulls are a relatively young team this season but have seemingly been going backward of late, losing six straight games. During his stint in Chicago, the Nebraska native coached the team to an overall record of 115-155.
The Bulls said in a statement Hoiberg would be replaced by associate head coach Jim Boylen in an effort to reverse the slide.
The Bulls have been riddled by injuries this season.
Boylen, who said he talked to Hoiberg on Monday morning, said he will be "forever grateful to Fred and the opportunity he gave me".
This season, Hoiberg has had Portis for only four games, Kris Dunn and Lauri Markkanen for one each and Denzel Valentine for zero. And he did a lot of good things for us. He has 20 years of National Basketball Association coaching experience and has been a part of three National Basketball Association championship teams. What we're lacking is an energy and spirit. But I'm tasked with, (general manager) Gar (Forman) is tasked with looking at the underlying things in an organization. Most recently on the collegiate level, he was head coach at the University of Utah, where he led the Utes to the 2009 NCAA Tournament. Derrick Rose, Jimmy Butler, Pau Gasol and Nikola Mirotic were among the departures as the Bulls tried to find the right formula. The Bulls then signed veterans Dwyane Wade and Rajon Rondo - odd fits for Hoiberg's offense - and got knocked out by Boston in the first round of the playoffs.
Coincidentally, another Jim Boylan - different spelling - landed the interim head coaching job when Paxson fired Skiles.
- Huawei CFO Wanzhou Meng arrested in Vancouver, faces extradition to U.S.
- World urged to tackle 'urgent threats' as United Nations climate talks begin
- New Caledonians ordered to shelters in tsunami alert after big quake
- Wisconsin Assembly Passes Sweeping Power Grab Bill, Sending It To Walker's Desk
- Sri Lanka President says will end the political crisis in seven days
- Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra celebrate wedding reception in Delhi
- Tom Brady jokes about retirement after reaching 1,000 rushing yards
- Microsoft may kill off Edge for a new Chrome-based browser
- US Marines fighter, tanker plane crash off Japan coast, 6 missing
- George HW Bush begins final journey to Washington before burial in Texas