Bush will lie in state in the U.S. Capitol Rotunda until Wednesday morning.
Historians believe Harry S. Truman's folksy aphorism about friends in Washington and dogs is probably apocryphal - the 33rd USA president didn't actually like dogs - but he would surely have fallen for Sully's charms. A guard of honor will be in attendance, and the public will be allowed into the Capitol from 7:30 p.m. Monday until 8:45 a.m. Wednesday.
Bush will be interred next to his wife and daughter Robin at 4:15 p.m.
Late Sunday, the Bush family spokesperson shared a photo on social media of the two-year-old yellow Labrador retriever next to Bush's casket.
Dukakis, 85, blames himself for his election loss as the Democratic nominee, saying he didn't respond aggressively to a Bush campaign ad featuring a convicted murderer named Willie Horton who raped a woman and stabbed her partner while out of prison on a MA furlough program.
"Obviously we disagreed pretty strongly on domestic policy and I wasn't thrilled with the kind of campaign he ran, but I think his greatest contribution was in negotiating the end of the Cold War with (Soviet leader) Mikhail Gorbachev", Dukakis told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.
A ceremony will be held at the train station as Bush's casket is loaded onto a Union Pacific train. His fans have multiplied since his work gained more attention following Bush's death, and an outpouring of appreciation for the dog has been part of the mourning process.
Use the hashtag#Honoring41 to share your memories/photos of#Bush41. The casket will be in a auto with Plexiglas windows to allow people to see it during the trip, according to family spokesman Jim McGrath. Barbara Bush died on April 17 at their Houston home.
In Texas, students, staff and visitors have been flocking to Bush's presidential library on the campus of Texas A&M University.
Bush is shown with his son George W. Bush, who would later become US president, and wife Barbara Bush in Rye, N.Y., in 1955.
He also credited Bush, who died Friday night at age 94, with working with other countries and the United Nations in the first Gulf War. The casket will then be rolled along a path through woods, over a bridge and over a creek for burial during a private graveside service with Bush's family.
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 officially announced
- British middleman hauled to India over chopper scam
- New Caledonians ordered to shelters in tsunami alert after big quake
- Trump caves in to China’s demands on tariffs during G20 meeting
- Close pal blasts 'absolutely incredible' Ballon d'Or snub for Juventus star Ronaldo
- Trump claims 'BIG leap forward' in China trade talks, but details unclear
- Manafort 'Tying Up Loose Ends' In Russia Probe
- Ex-Patriot Brandon Browner Reportedly Gets Eight Years In Attempted Murder Case
- Urban Meyer, former Ute coach, to announce retirement from Ohio State Football
- Wilder wants Fury rematch 'ASAP'