The bus was traveling on Interstate 30 west of Benton, Arkansas, from Texas to Memphis, Tennessee, when it left the road and turned over, according to Arkansas State Police.
A charter bus carrying a youth football team from Tennessee crashed early Monday in central Arkansas, killing one child and injuring at least 45 other people, authorities said. The bus was carrying the Orange Mound Youth Association's football team, which had attended an All-Star game in Dallas, Texas during the weekend. The driver of the vehicle is still alive and is being questioned by police. The community comes together around its youth football teams, where kids train to be part of the highly competitive Melrose High School squad.
Those who were injured were transported to hospitals in Benton and Little Rock.
This is a breaking news story and will be updated as more information becomes available.
The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences said the hospital received one adult patient who has not been discharged. Those involved in the crash were also reportedly sent to Baptist Hospital, Saline Memorial, CHI St Vincent and UAMS.
At least 45 other people were injured when the bus tumbled down the embankment. Arkansas Children's took 24 patients, and all are in stable condition. A hospital spokeswoman said she couldn't provide any details, citing privacy laws.
One resident, Carlos Morgan, told The Associated Press that the youth football program is vital in a neighborhood where youths can so easily be lured into drugs and crime. It gave no age for Kameron, but it said he was a third-grader at Aspire Coleman Elementary School in Memphis. He was convicted in March this year on six counts of criminally negligent homicide, 11 counts of reckless aggravated assault and seven counts of assault.
- Qualcomm has no interest in reviving NXP takeover
- Sterling jumps after European Union court adviser's advice
- Nationals sign all-star pitcher Patrick Corbin to 6-year deal
- 'Baby, It's Cold Outside' pulled from some Canadian radio stations
- Epic Games Store: direct Steam competition
- Smuggler dropped two children from top of border wall: DHS
- British middleman hauled to India over chopper scam
- Manchester United have €103 million bid rejected for Kalidou Koulibaly
- Donald Trump 'likes' Kim Jong-un, Moon says
- New Caledonians ordered to shelters in tsunami alert after big quake