They said Paul "appeared to be upset and left a short time after". Officials confirmed that a male was found outside the home and the three others were discovered inside.
The Ocean Township home, about 10 miles from Colts Neck, is owned by Paul and Susan Caneiro, and public records show the men are related, sharing at least one address in NY several decades ago.
Public records show the mansion that burned Tuesday is owned by Keith Caneiro, 50, and Jennifer Caneiro, 45.
"Unfortunately, they were burned severely as a result of the fire they were exposed to, so that's making things somewhat challenging with the medical examination that needs to ensue", Gramiccioni told reporters. Video showed smoke pouring from the roof while the mansion was ablaze. Law enforcement is investigating whether the fires are connected, and if the Colts Neck fire was caused by arson.
Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher Gramiccioni would not comment on the report, or even say the dad had a gunshot wound.
Helicopter footage showed a sheet in the middle of the yard next to the house with police tape cordoning off the area.
'He said it must have been a gas leak, he had tears in his eyes.
The was no visible damage at the front of the home, but the flames damaged the back of the residence as well as the attic.
The prosecutor's office is investigating this fire along with another fire at 27 Tilton Drive in Ocean Township that occurred at around 5:20 a.m. this morning, officials told ABC News.
Keith Caneiro, according to his LinkedIn profile, is described as the CEO and chief technology officer for a company in the New York City area called Square One.
"That remains to be seen but that is an option or angle that we continue to pursue", the prosecutor said. Everyone at the Ocean Township home was evacuated safely.
Caneiro is the founder and boss of SquareOne, while his brother, Paul is the vice president.
Home prices average $750,000 in the wealthy suburb 50 miles south of New York City.
The brothers were also partners in a pest control company they operated from the same office.
- Molinari wins Race to Dubai
- Kyle Busch leads title contenders in qualifying for finale
- Tumblr’s iOS App Missing from the App Store
- Ivanka Trump emails: President's daughter used personal email address for government business
- Bobby Bones takes home 'Dancing with the Stars' Mirrorball trophy
- Elevator drops 84 floors after cables snap in Chicago's famed Hancock building
- May sticks to Brexit deal, challenge looms
- Portrait Depth Editing for Google Photos Comes to iOS
- Facebook Messenger reportedly down around the world
- Six-year-old girl's chilling three words after killing baby brother