England's all-time top scorer Rooney came on as a 58th-minute substitute, to roars from the crowd, with the team 2-0 up thanks to excellent first-half strikes from Jesse Lingard and Trent Alexander-Arnold with his first goal for his country.
Wayne Rooney will wear the number 10 shirt and captain's armband when he comes on for his final England appearance in the friendly with the United States.
'We had a really inexperienced team out there again, so they've come through and learned a lot, and we've paid our respects to one of our greatest ever players. "We've had real shoots of progress and achieved some outstanding results", said Southgate. "Unfortunately I couldn't get a goal but I'll remember it for a long time", Rooney said.
However, the former England captain says he is planning to return to England once he quits playing, and already has his next role in mind.
"It would have been ideal for him to score but we saw some moments of real quality from him".
"I thought we were too open and a bit ill-disciplined", he said.
"It has been a brilliant year no matter what happens on Sunday".
'We knew that would be a tough game because I think probably the first game they've had at home since the World Cup with a crowd in, so it would have been an electric atmosphere.
Debutant Callum Wilson rounded off the win on a comfortable night, but from a Liverpool perspective, the evening belonged to Alexander-Arnold, who was given the Man of the Match award.
"We've got really good competition for places, it was a good test for a lot of those players".
"I didn't like us without the ball as much".
Manchester City could be handed a one-year transfer ban from Federation Internationale de Football Association over the signing of eight under-18 players from foreign countries, The Times reports citing recent leaks.
- Nine killed, 35 missing in California wildfire; Malibu threatened
- Roy Clark, Country Music Legend and 'Hee Haw' Host Dead at 85
- Woman's mid-air rant after 'being refused glass of wine' on plane
- CMA Awards 2018: See All the Stars on the Red Carpet
- Fischer loses Senate Republican leadership contest | Nebraska
- Court paper mistake reveals criminal charge against Julian Assange in US
- David Hockney painting sells for $90M, breaking art record
- Judge Sides with CNN in Dispute Over White House Access
- England win toss, bat in Sri Lanka second Test
- President Trump Goes After Mueller Team: They've Gone Nuts!