However, City quickly took control of the game once again and eventually sealed victory through Ilkay Gundogan. While everyone else in the Premier League has a fatal flaw or is struggling to play their best, City continue to wreck every team they play.
Goalkeeper Ederson argued United were fortunate to only lose by two goals, such was City's superiority, and argued that they could have extended their advantage.
But while he stopped short of criticising Mourinho, the 37-year-old said the style of football employed - Anthony Martial's penalty was United's only shot on target - would not go down well with fans if the results were not good.
"I think we are not going to be relegated", the United boss said, via Evening Standard. They were a much better team on the day.
"If there is any true way to compare two teams' relative merits, which I believe there isn't, it is through empty rhetoric and sneering hypotheticals".
Mendy has built a strong relationship with the fans, partly fulled by his entertaining social media presence, and was delighted to give them a derby to celebrate, even if it was just another three points toward defending their title.
Palace winger Wilfried Zaha suggested he would have to get his leg broken by an opponent for a red card to be brandished following a 1-0 win over Huddersfield Town on September 15, at which Marriner was the fourth official.
Romelu Lukaku's problems up front, with four league goals, contrast with City's frontman Sergio Aguero, who tops the goal charts after he scored against United to take his tally to eight for the season. We actually have to say this.
"That's an important thing for us". He doesn't want to make mistakes, that is pretty sure. Not only Man City - 10 points from Liverpool, a lot of points from the other ones as well.
Instead of using such a system of measurement, the Portuguese said he prefers to side with his gut feeling on the sideline, saying: "I don't go for stats, I go for what I felt and I watch in the game and the game was there until minute 80-something".
- Authorities search for missing as California wildfires rage on
- Facebook is now down for many desktop users
- Tsitsipas shrugs off freak injury to reach Next Gen final
- Brady responds to Dion Lewis' 'cheap' comment
- Marvel Legend Stan Lee Passes Away at 95
- Oil prices rise as Saudi Arabia signals production cut
- Stan Lee, beloved Marvel Comics creator and filmmaker, dies at 95
- Amazon picks NY , suburban Washington for new, split headquarters
- Trump suggests France would have been defeated without U.S.
- Israel Says Carrying Out Air Strikes "Throughout Gaza Strip"