A day after announcing that U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and a top North Korean official would hold talks in NY this week, the U.S. Department of State abruptly said Wednesday the meeting has been postponed to an unspecified later date.
"The Secretary and Vice Chairman Kim will discuss making progress on all four pillars of the Singapore Summit joint statement, including achieving the final, fully verified denuclearization of the DPRK", it added.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has abruptly shelved plans to meet a senior North Korean official in NY without explanation, the latest twist in diplomatic attempts to secure a potentially landmark peace deal.
There are concerns that North Korea's push for such a declaration could be a ploy to divide the US-South Korea alliance and secure the withdrawal of the 28,500 US troops based in the South.
The cancellation comes amid North Korean threats to restart its nuclear development unless the US begins to remove sanctions - a step the administration says it will not take until North Korea meaningfully moves to denuclearize, which it so far has not done. Then, North Korea agreed to allow inspectors to visit its missile engine test site and nuclear test site.
Tourism is considered one of the rare sources of foreign currency earnings for North Korea, which has been put under worldwide economic sanctions.
Trump and Kim Jong Un's first meeting took place in Singapore earlier this year, but the talks that between the two sides since appear to have reached a stalemate.
That decision came after Kim Yong-chol met with Pompeo in NY in May.
North Korea is getting increasingly angry at the USA, as talks are deadlocked and tensions between the two countries are on the rise, a source familiar with the discussions told CNN. "There's no rush whatsoever", Trump told reporters at the White House.
Yoon Young-chan, a spokesman for South Korean President Moon Jae-in, said his government was aware of the postponement.
- Arsenal vs. Sporting CP - Football Match Report
- The midterms show Trump might not get re-elected in 2020
- Faulty Equipment Likely To Blame For Active Shooter Response
- California fires: Malibu residents ordered to evacuate
- Here is how you can play PUBG for free on Xbox One
- Sky Sports pundit blasts Jurgen Klopp for critical mistake against Red Star
- Thousand Oaks: At least 12 killed at California bar shooting
- LeBron James, Lakers win another nail-biter, hold off Derrick Rose, Timberwolves
- White House Defends Ban on Reporter
- Red Dead Online public beta set to launch later this month