The most noticeable difference between the J4 Core and its predecessor is the sheer size of the device: the J4 Core has a 6-inch display while the J2 Core only had a 5-inch screen.
Up to three apps can run at the same time on the phone. Several windows can be arranged and used on the large screen. A new foundation?Why would we want our displays to fold?
Dave Burke, vice president of engineering at Google, said at the Android Developer Summit that Google is "enhancing Android to take advantage of this new form factor with as little work as necessary". According to The Guardian, Samsung is not the only cellphone manufacturing company creating a foldable phone.
The Verge's reporter Nick Statt said that when folded, the phone was "bulky" and "feels miles away in quality" from a high-end smartphone. Its FlexPai folding phone was made available for order with a $1,318 starting price. Royole said it would start filling orders late next month.
Samsung is likely to fully introduce a device for sale at the Consumer Electronics Show in January or at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona in February.
LG is also rumored to showcase a version of a foldable smartphone at CES 2019, presumably based on an LG Display OLED panel, and Huawei has confirmed that it is working on its own device that it expects to launch next year.
Here's a look at the five key takeaways from the Samsung Developers Conference 2018.
Reporters at the American technology network The Verge, and digital media website Mashable, were among those to get their hands on Royole's FlexPai device at the event in San Francisco.
- Morning people 'less likely to develop breast cancer'
- Ronaldo frustated as Juve 'gift' United victory
- Former refugee in Kenya Ilhan Omar elected to US Congress
- China debuts the world's first AI news presenter
- Trump administration moves to block asylum for certain migrants
- U.S. will regret sanctions
- A Day in the Life of a Red Dead Redemption 2 NPC
- Cliffsofmoher dies after shocking injury during Melb Cup
- SA journalists ‘misrepresented’ intentions for visit - Tanzania
- Google apologises for past handling of harassment, brings change