The API provides a couple of options to Android developers to push latest updates to their apps.
You'll have two options with this API; the first is a full-screen experience for critical updates when you expect the user to wait for the update to be applied immediately.
With new tools and features announced during today's Android Developer Summit, one of those new features that went a bit under the radar is the In-App Updates API. The name change is meant to reflect the app's ability to help facilitate a smartphone owner's needs no matter which device they are using.
The new API will give developers the choice of letting an app lock users out while it installs updates or to let users continue using them as the update is downloaded and installed in the background. Well, it proved so popular (even among mainline Android users) that the app is getting rebranded to just Files by Google. With Immediate in-app updates, the application will show a notice as soon as the app is opened that an update is required in order to start using it. The Android Developers blog says that the "update flow" can be customized to feel like part of the app (see GIF at the top of this article).
If you don't already have the app, you can download Files by Google free of charge from the Play Store. We think so simply because it looks like you have to actively seek out the update, instead of having a pop up appear on your screen.
Today, we're rebranding the app to Files by Google.
Cuthbertson noted that the In-App Updates API is still in testing with Android's early access partners.
- Tamera Mowry-Housley confirms niece died in Thousand Oaks shooting
- Tesla says Robyn Denholm of Telstra to be new board chair
- Steve Kerr compared Zion Williamson to LeBron: 'The next guy's coming'
- California bar gunman who killed 12 people identified as former US Marine
- Boeing issues safety bulletin after Lion Air crash
- Queen invites Meghan Markle's mum to royal family's Christmas celebrations
- Russian Fighter Intercepts US Spy Plane
- Man United to take momentum into Manchester derby
- Ariana Grande Thank U Next Song About Exes Pete Davidson | Personal Space
- Benzema: Sometimes people don't understand what I do on the pitch