"There have been ongoing discussions since Wayne retired about paying tribute to him and his England career", said the manager, who added Rooney had declined an opportunity to be honoured ahead of the World Cup so as not to take the attention away from those going to Russian Federation. "This game is the first opportunity we've had at Wembley to do that".
Rooney, 33, has impressed in the US with MLS side DC United, though the decision to allow his return has sparked fierce debate across the media.
"Wayne Rooney has been the best England player of his generation, and his contribution deserves to be recognised", Hurst told Grosvenor Sport.
Southgate confirmed that Rooney will not wear the No. 10 shirt against the USA, but would not be drawn on whether England's all-time leading goalscorer will wear the captain's armband when he plays. If he plays, of course he'll be the captain.
England manager Gareth Southgate says the team hasn't been great at recognising its veterans, something he hopes to change.
He said: "I like Wayne, I get on well with him and his record speaks for itself".
"I really think it's important that the former players feel part of what we're doing with England".
The 33-year-old Rooney, now playing in Major League Soccer with DC United, has not played for England in nearly two years.
And it's a good opportunity for him to see how he fits into the senior team'.
Following the U.S. friendly, England are in action three days later against Croatia but Rooney isn't expected to play in. He's our greatest goalscorer and so why not give him the send-off he deserves?
"If we're also talking about helping young players develop in the global set-up, then surely celebrating Wayne's career in this way is an example to the next generation of England stars".
Wilson, who has received his first call, has started the new Premier League season in the form of his life, registering six goals and four assists in 11 appearances to help Bournemouth surge to sixth in the table.
- Women Played ‘Pivotal’ Role in Shifting House to the Democrats
- Supreme Court Won't Consider Obama-Era Net Neutrality Rules 11/06/2018
- FDA Approves DSUVIA Sublingual Synthetic Opioid Formulation & Delivery System
- Jose Mourinho suspected City 'years ago' amid FFP allegations
- Ariana Grande Thank U Next Song About Exes Pete Davidson | Personal Space
- Dez Bryant Caught Ripping Saints Fan in Old Tweet
- US Attorney General Jeff Sessions resigns
- Russian Fighter Intercepts US Spy Plane
- Diversity wins the midterms. The women making history in 2018
- Dozens of Facebook, Instagram accounts blocked over election interference concerns