In 2012, Ginsburg disclosed to a reporter that she had recently broken two ribs in a fall but did not take time off because of the court's heavy workload at the time. She initially went home after her fall, but experienced complications overnight.
RBG's office says she fell Wednesday night while in her SCOTUS office, and even went home thinking she was fine - but, after experiencing some pain overnight, the Justice made a decision to go to George Washington University Hospital Thursday morning.
Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg leaves the stage after speaking to first-year students at Georgetown Law in Washington in September.
Ginsburg was admitted to the hospital for treatment and observation after tests showed she broke three ribs.
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg arrives at a lecture on September 26 at Georgetown University Law Center in Washington, D.C. Ginsburg has been hospitalized after falling and fracturing several ribs.
The court's 5-4 conservative majority was restored last month when the U.S. Senate confirmed President Donald Trump's appointee Brett Kavanaugh after a contentious nomination process in which Kavanaugh denied a sexual assault allegation dating to the 1980s.
This report will be updated as further information becomes available.
Even in her advancing years, Ginsburg has a widely publicized regular exercise routine, known as the "RBG workout", which includes push-ups, planks and arm curls.
Ginsburg was appointed in 1993 and is the oldest justice on the panel.
That said, it would probably be healthy for her to resign.
"I'm now 85", Ginsburg said in August, according to CNN. "I hope she has a full and speedy recovery".
- Godolphin runner Cross Counter wins 2018 Melbourne Cup
- Adele is more than ready for the Spice Girls reunion
- Milan Pavkov scores twice as Red Star Belgrade stun Liverpool
- Multiple injuries at mass shooting at Southern California bar in Thousand Oaks
- Dozens of Facebook, Instagram accounts blocked over election interference concerns
- FDA Approves DSUVIA Sublingual Synthetic Opioid Formulation & Delivery System
- Jose Mourinho suspected City 'years ago' amid FFP allegations
- Blizzard denies it was going to show Diablo 4 at BlizzCon
- BATE Borisov v Chelsea: Eden Hazard in squad for Europa League tie
- Bredesen fizzles in Tennessee