Grande chose to channel the classic musical number from "The First Wives Club", wearing bridal white alongside her two backup singers to resemble the film's stars Bette Midler, Goldie Hawn and Dianne Keaton.
At one point, she climbed on top of a chair and almost fell on her way down. As Ariana entertained the audience with the performance inspired by The First Wives Club, she lost her footing while stepping off a chair.
Grande was there to debut "Thank U, Next", which references her former flames, including her ex-fiance, Pete Davidson, the late Mac Miller, and rapper Big Sean. It was a fun dance and a good song, but the moment that will stick in everyone's head comes when Grande trips on one of her vertiginous heels and interrupts herself for a quick "Ohmygod!". The song begins, "Thought I'd end up with Sean / But he wasn't a match / Wrote some songs about Ricky / Now I listen and laugh / Even nearly got married / And for Pete, I'm so thankful / Wish I could say "thank you" to Malcolm / 'Cause he was an angel".
She sings: "Thought I'd end up with Sean/But he wasn't a match/Wrote some songs about Ricky/Now I listen and laugh". Throughout the rest of the performance, she keeps fighting back giggles.
But, just as the song says, Grande knows how to handle the pain.
"We were supposed to come down?" "We love you, we support you". "We support you", host Ellen DeGeneres said after the song.
- Boeing jet crashed in Indonesia after key sensor replaced
- BATE Borisov v Chelsea: Eden Hazard in squad for Europa League tie
- Adele is more than ready for the Spice Girls reunion
- 'Soulless' teen murdered mom after argument over bad grade: cops
- Omar, Tlaib Become First Muslim Women in US Congress
- Looking through the 2018 Gold Glove winners
- Chargers release Caleb Sturgis, sign Michael Badgley
- Godolphin runner Cross Counter wins 2018 Melbourne Cup
- EL Chapo trial jury selection begins in Brooklyn
- Djokovic back at No. 1 after 2-year absence