Voters in Minnesota and MI this morning elected the first two Muslim women to serve in the US Congress, a former refugee who fled Somalia's civil war and a Detroit-born Palestinian-American.
It was an easy win on Tuesday - her race was uncontested by any candidate from another major party.
Who are Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar? Congressman Andre Carson, who is Muslim and African American, won re-election in his safely-Democratic district in the state of Indiana. "Because this is about electing the jury to impeach @POTUS and I will make a heck of juror", Tlaib said in a tweet aimed at U.S. President Donald Trump.
Democrats Ilhan Omar of Minnesota and Rashida Tlaib of MI won their respective races and will represent their districts in the House of Representatives.
On January 1, 2009, Rashida became the first Muslim American woman to serve in the Michigan Legislature, and the second Muslim woman in history to be elected to any U.S. state legislature. She spent four years of her childhood in a refugee camp in Kenya. He resigned his position to run to be Minnesota's attorney general.
"We changed the course of history at a time we thought it was impossible".
Only two other Muslims have been elected to Congress, and both are men now in office: Ellison and Indiana Democratic Rep. Andre Carson.
She immigrated to the United States at age 12 and served as a Minneapolis City Council policy aide before winning election to the Legislature in 2016. This seat has been held by Democrats since 1963. "And that if you just believe in the possibility of someone like me", Talib added.
She says her constituents were attracted to her progressive politics, which are the polar opposite of Republicans.
- Beyoncé endorses Beto O’Rourke hours before polls close
- Google working on fix for Pixel 3 memory management problems
- Deal brings National Football League outfits to Fortnite shop
- Gunmen grab 79 pupils and three staff from school in Cameroon
- Red Star Vs. Liverpool Live Stream
- Fox News calls host appearance with Trump unfortunate
- New Gallup Poll Finds High Anxiety Among Democrats on Election Day
- Apple Cancels Plans to Boost iPhone XR Production
- The Cliffsofmoher euthanased on track after Melbourne Cup
- EL Chapo trial jury selection begins in Brooklyn