ABC News is reporting Marsha Blackburn as the projected victor in the U.S. Senate race in Tennessee, defeating opponent Phil Bredesen.
The heated race, which some voters described as "vicious", pitted two household names in the state against each other after Republican Sen.
Her win represents a rightward shift from the GOP senator she will replace, Bob Corker, who fell in line with Tennessee's historical preference for more-centrist senators and at times was a vocal critic of Trump.
Democrats had hoped Bredesen would help the party regain control of the Senate in one of the few GOP-held seats considered competitive enough to flip. Bob Corker, a moderate Republican who opted to retire previous year after repeated clashes with President Trump.
She welcomed in Pence three times.
Early polls had Bredesen in the lead. Bredesen was the last Democrat to win a statewide election in Tennessee, and would have been the first Democrat elected to the Senate since Al Gore in 1990. "People want to have a U.S. Senate that's going to support the president", Blackburn told voters.
"I get up every day and I go fight for five things: Faith, family, freedom, hope and opportunity", Blackburn said at a debate with Bredesen. "And you know what?"
Corker, the outgoing senator, had backed Blackburn but refused to campaign against Bredesen, whom he considers a friend. The Republicans were going to nominate Rep. Marsha Blackburn whom the Democrats thought they could paint as an extremist.
Blackburn will be holding her election night event in Franklin.
'She voted against equal pay for women.
"Marsha Blackburn ran an outstanding campaign from start to finish". Marsha is the conservative champion we need in Washington to fight for the Trump agenda. I am grateful she will join a Senate majority in Washington committed to putting America First.
- Florida Restores Voting Rights for Most Felons
- Beyoncé endorses Beto O’Rourke hours before polls close
- Fox News calls host appearance with Trump unfortunate
- Marijuana legalization on the ballot in four states
- 3 dead, including shooter, at Florida yoga studio
- People's 'Sexiest Man Alive' for 2018 is Idris Elba
- Oprah denounces racist robocalls mimicking her Georgia gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams
- The Cliffsofmoher euthanased on track after Melbourne Cup
- Democrats pick up United States governorships but lose Florida, Ohio
- New Gallup Poll Finds High Anxiety Among Democrats on Election Day