As far as when we actually might see this mythical Samsung-made folding phone, the company is holding its annual Samsung Developer Conference this week.
After what seems the better part of a half-a-decade of unofficial rumours, Samsung has started to tease its long in development foldable display smartphone. Will the device be able to hold its ground when Samsung releases its own bendy mobile device at the Developers Conference next week?
That's Samsung's new Facebook profile picture, which is a pretty clear reference to a bendy phone.
The flip phones of the early 2000s may be making a comeback next year, but instead of a small screen and physical keyboard, the new iteration will have a foldable display that opens up to a screen size similar to that of a small tablet. Up to a million units are expected to get rolled out, but exactly when, has still been in question.
China's Huawei Technologies Co Ltd has also said it is planning to launch a 5G smartphone with a foldable screen in mid-2019. Royole Corporation, a California-based start-up, last week unveiled FlexPai, a 7.8-inch foldable device with as many as three screens. The consumer model is also available for the Chinese market now with order fulfillment from late December.
Another Samsung official with knowledge of the matter told Reuters it will be the first time that detailed images of the new phone will be presented in public.
This is not the first hint from Samsung about a possible sneak peek at the upcoming foldable phone, though. Separately, The Bell reports that Samsung has confirmed that the phone's foldable display is finished. Earlier this month, a company called "Royole" announced the FlexPai smartphone for $1,300, which it called "the world's first commercial foldable smartphone with a flexible display".
- New U.S. Sanctions Against Iran Go Into Effect
- Trump Announces Foreign Policy Move With Game of Thrones Meme
- Bonfire Night 2018: fireworks displays and events in Clitheroe and surrounding areas
- Bears-Vikings game moved to primetime
- The queen asks Meghan's mom to spend Christmas with the royals
- Twitter Erupts After Pete Davidson Jokes About Veteran's War Wound
- United Nations to investigate Saudi Arabia's human rights record
- Emma Bunton spills news of Spice Girls official reunion early!
- 'The Walking Dead' looks back as it marches toward Rick's exit
- Amazon is giving everyone free shipping on everything for the holidays