Despite having served as the Cavs' starting shooting guard for all four of their NBA Finals appearances, Smith's playing time has dipped big time in the post-LeBron James era. And while Smith understood that his minutes were going to be drastically reduced - if not taken away completely - it's been a challenge for him to stay motivated.
The Cavs, who lost superstar LeBron James to the Los Angeles Lakers via free agency this season, are now without All-Star forward Kevin Love because of injury and sacked coach Tyronn Lue after their 0-6 start to the season.
Cleveland Cavaliers forward Kevin Love underwent surgery on his injured toe Friday and will miss at least six weeks.
Smith has brought a new challenge, but insists he will be a professional.
"I just worry about what I can control, worry about being a good vet to these young guys who are playing", Smith said. "Other than that, I'm buying time, I guess". He said, "The hell with it" and did what he wanted to do and what he was comfortable with doing and I respect him for it.
It seems as if the Cavaliers don't plan on playing Smith and he appears to have no interest in spending his final National Basketball Association seasons as a benchwarmer for a lottery team. "I can't do that to these fans, I can't do it to the city". "Cheer for 'em, help 'em as much as they want me to help".
Smith has played for four teams in his career, but has been traded three times in his career.
He is making $14.7 million this season and has a non-guaranteed $15 million next year.
- Denmark recalls ambassador to Iran over alleged foiled 'attack'
- Imran Khan calls for calm after protests over Asia Bibi blasphemy acquittal
- Birthday boy Shah Rukh Khan unveils Zero trailer with Katrina and Anushka
- Japanese pilot is arrested for being drunk ahead of flight from Heathrow
- Did Jared Kushner Cover For Saudi Crown Prince In Journalist's Murder?
- Barbra Streisand is fired up on political new album
- Barbra Streisand's driving on Carpool Karaoke spooks James Corden
- Sexual abuse by North Korean officials is endemic, rights group says
- Ariana Grande Will Play the Fiserv Forum in April
- Manchester City vs. Fulham - Football Match Report