The online retail giant says the new Paperwhite features a thinner and lighter design, a "sleek flush-front display", twice the internal storage and waterproofing, moving the e-reader more inline in terms of features with Kobo's Aura e-readers.
Despite these changes the new Kindle is 23 grams lighter than the previous model, and at 8.18mm thick it is nearly a millimeter thinner. Given water-resistance ratings are defined by the device manufacturer, Amazon says that the new Kindle can be submerged in up to 1 metre of water for 60 minutes. And to make sure there's enough room to hold both ebooks and audiobooks, the Paperwhite's base storage has doubled from 4GB to 8GB, with an option for a new 32GB model that can be had with or without 3G connectivity.
As a part of the launch offer, Amazon is offering three months of Kindle Unlimited for free on all pre-orders.
Kathryn Chinn, senior product manager for the Kindle, said the Paperwhite is Amazon's "most popular and highest rated" Kindle device, although she declined to cite specific details. Of course, no one's gonna do that, but at least now your Kindle won't get ruined if you accidentally spill something on it or decide to take it to the beach or pool. It also includes books that make it to the big screen like Molly's Game by Molly Bloom. The list will include books that are free to read from Kindle Unlimited and Prime Reading.
Get instant access to new releases and bestsellers, plus over a million titles at $2.99 or less.
As mentioned before, the new Kindle Paperwhite comes with two times more space than its predecessor. The new Kindle Paperwhite is also thinner and lighter, and it offers more storage than the device it replaces. At 8.18mm and 182 grams, this Paperwhite ticks that particular box too.
Finally, Amazon is making it easier for families to share a Kindle device by adding personalized reading settings. - Easily personalize one's reading: Users can now save multiple reading settings, selecting the font, boldness level and orientation settings they prefer all from the main menu and quickly switch between those settings.
This is a convenient feature for avid readers and audiobook listeners, and it will also likely help Amazon's Whispersync business.
- Things That Are Still Illegal in Canada Despite Marijuana Legalization
- Sundar Pichai: Google 'exploring' censored China search app
- Astros under scrutiny in sign-stealing controversy against Red Sox
- Trump says 'rogue killers' may be behind Saudi journalist's disappearance
- Kershaw's strong outing lifts Dodgers to 3-2 NLCS lead
- Hate crime linked to religion doubled in three years
- Fan interference nixes Altuve HR in Game 4
- Water Levels Plummet On Texas River That Washed Out Bridge
- Simona Halep retains WTA top spot for second consecutive year
- May 'to consider' extending UK's post-Brexit transition period