Argentina legend Diego Maradona has slammed his compatriot Lionel Messi's leadership qualities, saying that the Barcelona forward is not a leader on the pitch and should not be considered a football god.
"Before speaking to the coach and players he will be on the PlayStation". "It's useless to try and make a leader out of someone that goes to the bathroom 20 times before a game".
Messi captained Argentina during their disappointing World Cup campaign in Russian Federation but hasn't been called up for worldwide duty since.
"We shouldn't deify Messi any longer", he told Fox Sports. "Then, on the field, he wants to be the leader", Maradona said as he answered questions in a stumbling voice, sometimes seeming to contradict himself.
Spanish giants Barcelona are keen to extend Lionel Messi's stay at the Nou Camp with the Argentine star free to leave the club in 18 months' time.
The former World Cup victor took charge of Lionel Messi and Argentina at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
Maradona: It’s useless making a leader of Messi
'We asked Guardiola to talk to him (Messi), we offered him triple the salary he has at Barca, but he never accepted, ' Al Mubarak said.
"He is the best in the world along with Cristiano [Ronaldo]".
Messi, 31, has claimed every possible honour with Barcelona and has won the FIFA World Player of the Year award five times.
This time previous year Messi scored a hat-trick as Argentina beat Ecuador 3-1 in a must win game to see them qualify for Russian Federation 2018.
"You have to take the leadership away for him to be the Messi we want him to be".
A sterner test awaits on Tuesday, when they face Brazil in Saudi Arabia without Messi. Messi has a completely different style than Ronaldo.
- Empty stands for England a reminder football should be for the fans
- Israel detains United States student for supporting Palestine
- Gay students, teachers could be discriminated, according to religious freedom review
- Latest updates: British designers made Eugenie's wedding dress
- Chinese official charged with espionage against aviation companies
- Power cuts in Donegal as Storm Callum warning remains in place
- Medvedev "took off" from the "masters" in Shanghai
- 11 infant bodies found hidden in former funeral home ceiling in Detroit
- At least eight climbers killed on Nepal peak
- Apple will reportedly offer some original content for free via 'TV' app