Football supporters are a determined bunch and, if they want to see a game involving their team, it is often a case of "where there is a will, there is a way".
Following the match, Dier reflected on the first game England had ever played behind closed doors, although he noted the presence of a handful of England fans on a hill overlooking the ground. With England having good chances to beat the side that knocked them out in Russia, Southgate was happy with how his players handled their opponents and the weird circumstances of an empty ground.
Others had more luck, despite the English Football Association urging fans not to travel.
It was a surreal and odd experience watching the Three Lions with atmosphere replaced by silence and the World Cup semi-final rematch suffered as a result.
It is for this reason that England must take a man out of their defence and into their midfield.
However, Sancho's cameo performance against Croatia vindicated Southgate's decision as the Borussia Dortmund winger provided the directness missing from England's play.
Chilwell was sharp in challenges, sound with his distribution and produced a high quality first-half cross that nearly brought a goal for Raheem Sterling.
"I don't think my game has dipped", he said.
With no fervent crowd to contend against, England did not have to endure the hostility that can unnerve even the most experienced of performers.
The 0-0 draw in an empty Stadion HNK Rijeka handed England their first point of their Uefa Nations League campaign. "We have to keep getting in those situations".
History boy Sancho showed flashes of excitement after his 78th-minute introduction, with his threatening late cross causing problems in a match that ended goalless.
The Three Lions squandered a big chance to win the match through a couple of Marcus Rashford openings early in the second half, while Harry Kane and Eric Dier hit the frame of the goal either side of half time.
"When you walk out and the national anthem is on and you're singing it to no-one - hopefully it's something we don't have to experience too many times in our career".
- Khabib threatens to leave UFC if teammates fired
- Gay students, teachers could be discriminated, according to religious freedom review
- Ryan Coogler Officially Signs On To Write & Direct "Black Panther" Sequel
- After Hurricane Michael, hard-hit communities begin picking up the pieces
- Hillary Clinton: 'Civility can start again' when Democrats run Congress
- Thierry Henry Named New Monaco Coach - Club
- Colorado health department reports 14 cases of polio-like illness in children
- Seann Walsh 'deeply regrets' kissing Strictly Come Dancing partner Katya Jones
- Boris Johnson calls for PM May to ditch Brexit border backstop
- Review Of Global Economic Growth: Oil Prices Drop