Salah's goal - a left-footed curler - was his 13th in African Cup of Nations qualifying, an Egyptian record.
The former Roma man hit 44 goals in his debut season on Merseyside but has struggled to replicate that form this term, mustering only three goals in 11 matches for his club in 2018-19.
However, Salah could not play for the entirety of the game as he was seen limping off the pitch in the last few minutes, much to the dismay of Liverpool and Egypt fans.
Liverpool entered the worldwide break third in the Premier League, level on points with Manchester City and Chelsea but behind them by virtue of their slightly inferior goal difference.
"The initial diagnosis of Salah's injury, according to the national team's doctor, is a strong muscle strain", Ramzy said. With Salah leading from the front, Egypt has scored 10 goals in its last two games following a 6-0 win over Niger last month, when Salah scored twice.
Egypt are now top of Group J, although Tunisia have a game in hand, and Salah is unlikely to feature when they travel to Swaziland on Tuesday.
But Salah's night came to a premature end when he went down injured late in the game, appearing to hold his hamstring. Cameroon has already qualified for the 2019 tournament as host - although its hosting is now in doubt - but is taking part in the qualifiers to stay match sharp.
- US, Russian astronauts survive Soyuz emergency landing
- Poor Mental Health Rises With Global Warming
- Scarlett Johansson to Reportedly Earn $15 Million for New Black Widow Movie
- Aaron Ramsey says he will see out season with Arsenal
- Camilla at Crathie school during Princess Eugenie royal wedding
- Mahrez misses late PK, Man City draws Liverpool
- Smart Home Technology Poised for Blockbuster Growth
- Sports News, Machado, Dodgers finish off Braves
- Africa's youngest billionaire kidnapped in Tanzania
- Michael, Now Post-Tropical Storm, Batters Tri-State With Rain, Wind