Billionaire mogul Michael Bloomberg announced on Wednesday that he is re-joining the Democratic Party, prompting new speculation about his possible presidential ambitions.
Bloomberg announced his new political affiliation in an Instagram post, warning that Democrats are "so badly" needed to keep the government in check. Today, he released a picture of himself filling out his registration form and warning about threats to the Constitution that require checks and balances. He left the Republican Party to become an independent in 2007 and served three terms as New York's mayor, stepping down in 2013.
Bloomberg has had a long career in politics, and was Mayor of NY from 2002-2013.
Bloomberg, 76, did not say when he might make a decision on running for president. In 2016, he toyed with the idea of running as an independent presidential candidate, "but he decided it was too hard for an independent to be elected in our system", said Martin Frost, a former House member from Texas and head of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC).
"It's impossible to conceive that I could run as a Republican - things like choice, so numerous issues, I'm just way away from where the Republican Party is today", Bloomberg said last month.
In a post on his Instagram account, Bloomberg revealed he is officially part of the Democratic Party again.
"It's impossible to conceive that I could run as a Republican - things like choice, so numerous issues, I'm just way away from where the Republican Party is today", he told the Times.
Worth an estimated $50 billion, Bloomberg is a social liberal who is in sync with the Democratic Party on issues like gun control, immigration, abortion rights and climate change.
"If he did (run as a Democrat), he'd be a formidable candidate", Frost told VOA.
Michael Bloomberg has re-registered as a Democrat.
- Thierry Henry linked with AS Monaco job
- No tsunami threat to Hawaii after major quake strikes Papua New Guinea
- China region gives legal basis for internment camps for Muslims：The Asahi Shimbun
- De Minaur sets up Zverev clash in Shanghai
- Sports News, Machado, Dodgers finish off Braves
- Razer Phone 2 with wireless charging support launched for $799
- 3 companies win major Air Force rocket contracts
- Jadon Sancho: England hero heaps praise on ‘phenomenal’ Borussia Dortmund star
- Google Pixel 3 Phones Launch Amid Privacy Storm
- Salah suffered strain not rupture, says Egypt assistant