"They immediately notified Detroit police who responded and removed the boxes from a false ceiling between the first and second storey of the funeral home".
"I didn't know anything about that", she said.
"On behalf of my family I'm really sorry that it happened and totally appalled".
The State of MI closed down Cantrell Funeral Home, located at the city's east side, six months ago.
WDIV said that Detroit police have ordered an entire building search to ensure there are no additional bodies inside. They had had up to 90 days to wrap up the tasks depending on which route they took, reports WXYZ. Other embalmed bodies that were improperly stored for months were covered with mould. Authorities removed the infants from the building and sent them to the Medical Examiner's office to be identified.
The state shuttered the funeral home in April after finding multiple violations. That suspension order remains in effect as does our investigation.
During a popup inspection during that time frame inspectors found 20 bodies, seven were in caskets, three were in cremation containers, and 10 were just lying on tables. The face of a third was covered with odd fluid.
Det. Lt. Burt also said detectives looking into the discovery are hoping to speak to the former owner of the funeral home and have not ruled out that other staff members may have known about the hidden bodies. Using prepaid funds for unauthorized personal use is a felony punishable by a fine of $5,000 and up to five years in prison for each violation.
"If I had them in the funeral home then my funeral home wouldn't smell fresh", Cantrell told Fox then.
"Whether they're an employee or whether they actually did it, we don't know yet".
It's not clear if loved ones of the deceased were aware of the exact conditions but he added that people knew the bodies were still in his care.
- Singapore to NY
- Thierry Henry Named New Monaco Coach - Club
- Seann Walsh 'deeply regrets' kissing Strictly Come Dancing partner Katya Jones
- Hillary Clinton: 'Civility can start again' when Democrats run Congress
- Akshay Kumar cancels Housefull 4 shoot after Twinkle Khanna seeks 'firm stance'
- Investigation into possible match fixing in PSG's game vs. Red Star Belgrade
- Musk denies James Murdoch taking over as Tesla's Chairman
- Apple will reportedly offer some original content for free via 'TV' app
- India elected to UNHRC for the 5th time
- Death toll from Indonesia quake reaches 2,088