The explosion involved an Enbridge natural gas pipeline, according to RCMP, and the gas supply has been shut down.
The explosion has knocked out oil refineries in Washington state that rely on natural gas to power the facilities.
"The duration of the price impact will depend on the length of time that the pipeline is out of service", he says.
He's advising drivers to buy only the fuel they need until prices drop to regular levels.
The UBC bulletin says although gas use should still be restricted, "UBC buildings that use natural gas for heating, hot water and cooking are no longer expected to be impacted". "I thought it might have been a jet engine or a low-flying jet".
"I just heard it at the start", added Teegee.
Meanwhile, students and staff at BCIT are being asked to dress warmly.
Island Health spokeswoman Meribeth Burton, Island hospitals should not be affected.
The electricity and gas company said the line was carefully checked before it received permission to restart it at about 80 per cent of normal capacity.
A gas pipeline that ruptured northeast of Prince George on Tuesday is causing FortisBC to urge customers conserve their use of natural gas.
Homebuilders are not expecting to feel any impact unless a shortage becomes a long-term problem.
Thousands of FortisBC customers would be without natural gas without the pipeline.
More than 30 buildings of the Vancouver campus may be affected. "It's one of the ways of addressing the high cost of owning a home in Victoria".
'Enbridge has teams on the ground in the area and has mobilized additional response crews to maintain ongoing safety, ensure the needs of area residents are being met, and support the investigation [into the cause of the explosion]'. That's more than two-thirds of the company's customer base.
The Globe and Mail reports the explosion is being investigated by the Transportation Safety Board, noting that the blast damaged the two main pipelines, both operated by Enbridge, that bring natural gas into the FortisBC's gas distribution system.
- Google picks principles over $10bn Pentagon deal
- Terrifying climate change warning: 12 years until we’re doomed
- Roberts refers complaints about Kavanaugh to federal judges in Colorado
- WHAT'S HAPPENING: Historic Hurricane Michael hits Florida
- Bride Breaks Down At Late Fiancé's Grave On Wedding Day
- China, Russia push to ease N. Korea sanctions as Seoul mulls options
- Trump suggests the climate may actually be 'fabulous' after ominous United Nations report
- Samsung launches world’s first four-camera smartphone
- Hurricane Michael: Videos show destruction in US
- Hurricane slams Florida panhandle, Georgia — WHAT'S HAPPENING