The pricing for PSN name changes mirrors that on Xbox Live, which has allowed users to change their Gamertags since shortly after the Xbox 360 was released in 2005.
After changing your name, you have the option to also display your old name in order to let people recognize it. For PlayStation Plus members, it will cost €4.99/£3.99 after the first change. If this is an issue, you can revert back to the original name for free at any time (but just once during the preview program).
Users will get one free name change, but subsequent name changes will cost $9.99 per (or $4.99 for PlayStation Plus members).
More importantly, not every game will play nicely with your new ID.
To make the change from xxxSniperJoe420xxx to "MyWifeIsMyLife2012" you'll merely need to head to the settings menu or profile section of the PS4.
So there is no guarantee that your Online ID will reflect in any games prior to April 1 2018 - worse, PlayStation can't guarantee that there won't be "issues or errors" with older games.
Another caveat is that the new feature won't be compatible with all games. The preview program is scheduled to end in November, with the feature officially rolling out in early 2019.
While all PlayStation 4 games published after April 1, 2018 will be compatible with this new feature, anything published before that date is not guaranteed. They'll give you the option to revert back to your old ID (once), but even then PlayStation can only commit to "most" issues caused by the ID change being resolved.
So, what do we think?
- Ousted Guardians of the Galaxy director switches camps, tied to new DC Comics film
- Black Ops 4 Has a 50 GB Update If You're Buying Physical
- Mohamed Salah Has Received 53% Of Votes To Win The Balon d'Or
- Star Trek: Discovery - New season 2 trailer and NYCC recap
- Man to be freed in slain Bulgarian journalist investigation
- Why You Absolutely Need to get a Flu Shot This Year
- Americans win economics Nobel Prize for work on climate and growth
- XXXTentacion's Mom Accepts Post-Humous Award at 2018 AMAs
- Khabib brawl after Conor McGregor fight happened for THIS reason - Hardy
- XXXTentacion's Mother Accepts His Award for Favorite Soul/R&B Album at AMAs