After finishing off McGregor with a fourth-round choke, Nurmagomedov pointed at the Irishman's corner, threw his mouthpiece in that direction, then leaped over the cage to go after Dillon Danis, a brash Bellator fighter who serves as McGregor's jiu-jitsu coach.
On Monday, McGregor returned to Twitter and said: "We lost the match but won the battle".
Meanwhile, Zubaira Tukhugov, a team-mate and compatriot of Khabib, has risked his UFC future by bragging about slapping McGregor in the brawl that followed the fight. "The police did what they could do and the security did a great job of containing it", UFC president Dana White said in a post-fight media conference.
"This is not my best side.my father is going to smash me when I get home", Nurmagomedov said. I'm a human being, but I don't understand how people can talk about jumping on the cage when he talks about my religion, he talks about my country, he talks about my father and he comes to Brooklyn and he broke the bus and nearly killed a couple of people. Shortly after Khabib incited his brawl, two men presumably involved with Khabib entered the Octagon and attacked McGregor, sparking a second melee.
"I've been doing this for 18 years and on the biggest night ever, I couldn't be more disappointed".
Some will argue that a rematch doesn't make sense on merit but even the most naive of fans must be aware that money matters more than anything to a fight promoter and there is no bout more lucrative than Nurmagomedov vs. McGregor II right now. And the same thing for the other guy. There's going to be God knows what.
It was, however, the events after the main event which got everyone talking. Now the only question, it seems, is if it will continue in another UFC cage.
Saturday's UFC 229 event is in the books, and now that the dust has settled in Las Vegas, it's time to go to the scorecard to see who the big winners were at T-Mobile Arena.
- First SpaceX West Coast rocket landing lights up California sky
- Pakistan vs Australia, 1st Test: Hafeez hits hundred as Pakistan dominate Australia
- Planet has only until 2030 to stem catastrophic climate change, experts warn
- Fans thrilled with female Dr Who premiere
- William Nordhaus, Paul Romer win Nobel Economics Prize
- Nick Saban is downright miserable after Alabama’s 34-point win over Arkansas
- OnePlus 6T event officially locked in for October 30
- Trump Rails Against ‘Evil’ Opposition to Brett Kavanaugh: ‘A Disgraceful Situation’
- Your Facebook account is NOT being cloned, it's all a hoax
- Microsoft pauses Windows 10 update after files disappear