Michael rapidly intensified from Sunday 11 a.m. EDT to Monday 11 a.m. EDT when its winds increased from 35 mph to 75 mph in that 24-hour period. It was moving north around 9 miles per hour (11 kph).
An Air Force hurricane hunter airplane was sent into the storm to investigate, the hurricane centre said.
"Additional strengthening is forecast, and Michael is expected to become a hurricane later today". HAZARDS AFFECTING LAND -------- WIND: Tropical storm conditions are expected to first reach the coast within the warning area by this evening or tonight, making outside preparations hard or unsafe.
Thank you for signing up for the Sunrise Newsletter.
A major hurricane is a Category 3, 4 or 5 hurricane, which has winds of at least 111 miles per hour.
Also in that report, Dixon said Gillum's handling of the storm situation and his ensuing feud with Scott loomed over his political future. Needless to say, Michael should be taken seriously. "We know that a storm like Michael can be devastating and deadly".
The Florida State University Lab School is closed Tuesday.
Scott activated 500 National Guard troops in advance of the storm.
"All indications are that it's going to be severe", said City Commissioner Gil Ziffer, adding that if the storm hits Florida's capital, there would be significant tree damage and power outages.
The combination of a risky storm surge and the tide will cause normally dry areas near the coast to be flooded by rising waters moving inland from the shoreline. "This is coming very fast".
"Alabama is once again in the path of a hurricane, but I know Alabamians will once again come together and be prepared for whatever Michael may bring", Ivey stated. Much stronger surf will fill in through Tuesday and early Wednesday as the storm approaches. "The current track has it making landfall near the Florida panhandle and moving inland through Georgia, South Carolina and into North Carolina".
But there is some good news, unlike Florence, Michael is forecast to move quickly and dump less rain.
The NWS release said there is considerable uncertainty regarding the track, intensity, and timing of Michael, but confidence is increasing that it will directly impact the southeast Georgia and southeast SC area. Hurricane watches have been issued for the Florida Panhandle and Big Bend area. The effects of the storm will reach Horry County most likely on Wednesday or Thursday of this week. Flash flooding is possible in portions of Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas.
- Tracking Michael | Spaghetti models, forecast cone and satellite
- Palestinians hand out sweets to celebrate murder of Israelis
- First SpaceX West Coast rocket landing lights up California sky
- Best Tweets - 'Just in: Riyad Mahrez penalty has landed'
- Facebook wants you to invite its cameras into your homes, pledges privacy
- Barbara Bush marries Craig Coyne in ME wedding
- Pakistan vs Australia, 1st Test: Hafeez hits hundred as Pakistan dominate Australia
- President Trump Says He Doesn't Have Plans to Fire Rod Rosenstein
- Planet has only until 2030 to stem catastrophic climate change, experts warn
- Saudi source denies journalist Khashoggi was killed at consulate in Istanbul