Despite the emotional rally and a new-look Test side for Australia, the squad struggled to make an impact early against Pakistan.
If an lbw appeal shows the point of impact between the stumps and pads is more than 2.5 metres, an umpire's decision can not be overturned.
Yasir looms as a major weapon for Pakistan with the pitch already showing signs it is beginning to deteriorate.
The absence of Smith and Warner was certain to be a significant factor with three debutants among the visitors' top six for the first Test in Dubai.
The part-time legspinner struck minutes before tea, removing Asad Shafiq (80) with a ripping delivery which caught the right-hander's edge. Azam was slow off the blocks and unfortunately for him, Labuschagne fired a clean throw right over the stumps finding the batsman a few inches short. Labuschagne has been assigned the Number 6 slot and came in place of opener Matthew Renshaw. "So I wanted to get out of that panic situation and I am happy that I have done that today". At stumps, Pakistan were 255 for the loss of three wickets with Haris Sohail, 15* and night watchman Mohammad Abbas at one* on the crease.
It was a welcome change of fortunes for Lyon after he was earlier foiled by the DRS.
Australia delayed taking the new ball which eventually worked in Pakistan's favour with both Shafiq and Sohail getting a measure of the surface.
Paine called for a review and replays showed the ball was projected to hit the wicket but the umpire's call could not be overturned because Sohail was too far down the pitch. Nathan Lyon also chipped in with two wickets for 114 runs in 54 overs.
"I would've taken it after four overs, so I'm about an hour-and-a-half out", former Test batsman Mark Waugh said on Fox Sports.
- Palestinians hand out sweets to celebrate murder of Israelis
- Iran Reports 46% Drop In Condensate Exports
- Your Facebook account is NOT being cloned, it's all a hoax
- Crosby misses 5 kicks as Lions upend Packers 31-23
- Hamilton wins in Japan and moves closer to F1 title
- Arsenal legend praises Pogba contribution in Manchester United comeback win
- SpaceX plans Vandenberg satellite launch Sunday evening may create sonic boom
- William Nordhaus, Paul Romer win Nobel Economics Prize
- 20 killed in limo crash in upstate NY
- OnePlus 6T event officially locked in for October 30