Imagine a world where your phone is the brain and your phone case is the screen and the physical buttons. This case was planned to roll with full original GameBoy power, and to house a smartphone besides.
Below the cutout is a D-pad which lies to the left of the case while two individual buttons reside on the right-hand side followed by two more buttons at the center below them which is reminiscent of the "start" and "select" keys we usually see on consoles.
If a recent patent has any say on the future, Nintendo may be working on a playable Game Boy phone case that would work in tandem with your touchscreen smartphone.
A window would let owners view a Game Boy-sized portion of their screen, and as you might've guessed, that's where games would be displayed. This would enable a Game Boy-esque system to be built on smart phones.
It appears that won't be the case (get it?) for much longer, as it's been revealed that Nintendo has filed a patent for an official smartphone case that will turn your handset into the beloved 90s portable. A pair of those will cost you 50 - hopefully this phone case, if it materialises, will come a little cheaper.
The Game Boy may be about to make a comeback on smartphones, if a clever new patent is anything to go by.
The drawings primarily show fingers being used to control the games, but if you see the patent's language includes mention of a possible camera and a microphone addition for input, alongside "an external operation apparatus". "Pokemon Go" was a global phenomenon when it launched in July 2016 and "Fire Emblem Heroes" has grossed more than $400 million worldwide since its launch in February 2017.
- US Senate confirms Brett Kavanaugh as Supreme Court justice
- Interpol asks China for info on agency’s missing president
- India vs West Indies 1st Test, Day 2
- These Are All of Brett Kavanaugh's Lies
- Neville lays into United boardroom over Mourinho report
- Nobel Peace Prize awarded to Denis Mukwege and Nadia Murad
- Time running out as Indonesia toll tops 1,400
- Dybala’s hat trick helps Juventus beat Young Boys 3-0
- Toddler in Utah shreds more than $1000 in cash
- Klopp admits Liverpool haven't figured out Man City formula