Keep in mind that the number of deaths could be much higher.
"The selfie deaths have become a major public health problem", researcher Agam Bansal said. Russian Federation and the United States had the next highest numbers, with 16 and 14 reported deaths, respectively.
This is not the first time that light has been shed on the fatal risks of snapping a selfie.
The leading cause was drowning, from people getting hit by waves or falling out of boats while posing.
Researchers divided the 259 selfie-related deaths into eight reasons: animal, drowned, electrocution, fall, fire, firearm, other, and transport.
More than 85% of victims are aged between 10 and 30. "Many cases are not reported". Selfie death count for India: 159 which is more than half of the rest of the world combined.
The US researchers also called upon authorities in various countries to address the problem and introduce special "selfie-free zones" at unsafe but picturesque sites to prevent future accidents.Читайте также: Petrol, diesel prices slashed by Rs 2.50 per litre
But there are nearly infinite places where it is ill-advised to take a selfie, and as the researchers noted in the study, the number of deaths they identified from media reports is almost certainly an undercount.
These would include the tops of mountains, tall buildings and lakes, where numerous deaths occurred. Some people also died taking selfies in front of moving trains.
Perhaps just as unsafe, or even more so, are selfies taken from elevated places.
Most recently, in March, a Turkish woman died after falling from a castle in southeastern Şanlıurfa province while attempting a selfie. Rangers in New York's Catskill Mountains enacted a number of safety measures near several waterfalls and cliff edges, and can ticket visitors for putting themselves in risky situations in the name of selfies.
The United States ranked third in the unlucky rating with 14 deaths between October 2011 and November 2017.
Earlier this year, a national park in Indonesia announced it would be working to create a safe spot for photos after a hiker died taking a selfie, according to the Jakarta Post. They then attempted to cross-match those search links with links from their list of newspapers.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог
- North Korean hackers said to have stolen fortune in online bank heists
- President Trump announces new trade deal with Mexico, Canada
- Melania Trump Steps Out in $2,000 Dress for Hospital Tour in Africa
- Russian spies charged for 'malicious' cyber-attack on Canada, allies
- Pentagon: Suspicious substance in envelopes was castor seeds, not ricin itself
- Nokia 7.1 Goes Official: Marks The Debut of PureDisplay Technology
- Accuser in Cristiano Ronaldo rape claim took 'courage' from #MeToo
- What you need to know about today's presidential cellphone alert
- Trump says too soon to talk with China on trade
- Chinese spying microchips found in Apple, Amazon computers