But that all changed when she was asked to examine an oddly shaped large rock that a MI man, who didn't want to be named, had had in his possession for the last 30 years.
University Geology Professor Mona Sirbescu first identified the piece as more than just a rock, but she sent two small slices of the rock to the Smithsonian for confirmation.
But Sirbescu said she knew "within seconds" that this rock was special.
The charred hunk of space debris is the sixth largest meteorite ever found in the state, and it's estimated worth tops $100,000.
"It's the most valuable specimen I have ever held in my life, monetarily and scientifically", Sirbescu said in the release.
The man, who asked to remain anonymous, obtained the meteorite when he bought his farm in Edmore, Michigan, about 30 miles (48km) southwest of Mount Pleasant.
The man said that the original farmer said he heard the meteorite come crashing down, "and it made a heck of a noise when it hit". She said it will likely be called the "Edmore meteorite".
So, he took the rock in to Central Michigan University for testing.
The 22-plus-pound meteorite turned out to be the sixth-largest in MI and was valued at $100,000.
She examined it and determined the meteorite was 88 percent iron and 12 percent nickel.
David says the man who sold him the barn described the unbelievable tale of the meteorite making an impact crater in the backyard.
But tests are underway at UCLA to see if it contains rare elements that would bump up the value.
The man reportedly hasn't figured out exactly where the meteorite will end up, but a number of institutions are apparently considering purchasing it from him for display. A mineral museum in ME is also looking into it.
Mazurek said that when he sells the meteorite, he'll donate some of the money to the university.
"A piece of the early solar system literally fell into our hands", Dr Sirbescu said in a video made by the university to promote its discovery.
- John Paul Stevens says Kavanaugh shouldn't be on Supreme Court
- Tension between US and China prompts Pompeo to visit Beijing
- You won’t believe how much luxury carmaker Aston Martin is valued at
- Trump says Kavanaugh case will drive GOP votes
- ‘Jersey Shore’s The Situation Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion
- 1 in 3 U.S. adults eat fast food each day
- Pence accuses China of 'malign' campaign to undermine Trump
- Brett Kavanaugh wins vote that brings him closer to Supreme Court role
- Officer Dead, 6 Others Injured In South Carolina Standoff
- Birds Are Acting Erratically in Minnesota. Blame It on the Alcohol