Shaw and Pujara added 206 runs for the second wicket as the tourists were sent on a leatherhunt for large parts of the second session. I used to play 30-35 school games in a year, and played a lot of (first-class) Ranji (Trophy) cricket as well.
With all-rounder Hardik Pandya unavailable due to an injury, India are likely to play three spinners.
Earlier, India got off to a nightmare start, losing KL Rahul for a duck in the very first over of the match.
Shaw wasted little time in picking up where he had left off in the first session, twice drilling leg-spinner Devendra Bishoo to the leg side boundary in the first over after the interval.
The record was previously held by Abbas Ali Baig, who at the age of 20 years 131 days, scored a half-century against England in Manchester in 1959.
Kohli, who was criticised for sitting out the Asia Cup won by the Rohit Sharma-led India in the United Arab Emirates, said rest in between long tours will be key for keeping players fit ahead of the World Cup in 2019.
Shaw, however, continued batting with confidence and his first boundary came in the second over bowled by Keemo Paul, another back foot punch towards the point boundary.
Other Indian luminaries lined up to tweet his praise including former Test batsman VVS Laxman, who said Shaw had a "bright future" in the game.
Shaw, who is being touted as the next big thing in Indian cricket, has even been named in the 12-man squad that India had announced on the eve of the first Test and is likely to make his debut on Thursday. He is also the third batsman after Shikhar Dhawan (85 balls) and Dwayne Smith (93) to hit his debut ton in under 100 balls. I have no plan (in nets) I just went with a blank mind. "They refer to workload as number of games played, which is not workload", Kohli said. "All that experience has helped me", added the Mumbai-born Shaw. Virat Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane carried on with a century partnership before the latter got out for 41.
Shaw is the fourth-youngest global batsman to score a century on debut.
Pujara also played an uncharacteristically quick knock as he brought up fifty off 67 deliveries, but missed out on his hundred after being caught behind off debutant paceman Sherman Lewis.
Virat Kohli has distanced himself from the Karun Nair situation, saying it is not his place to comment on a matter the selectors have already offered clarification on.
- Kim Kardashian and Ruby Rose named most unsafe celebrities to search online
- Women still shying away from doing annual mammograms - Breast Friends president
- The Goblin dwarf planet may lead to Planet Nine discovery
- Support for Trump higher in Israel than nearly any other nation
- Stormy Daniels shows Jimmy Kimmel which mushroom looks like Trump
- President Trump announces new trade deal with Mexico, Canada
- This is how many people have died taking selfies
- Suge Knight's son claims Tupac is alive and living in Malaysia
- Amazon might announce an IMDb video streaming service soon
- Russian spies charged for 'malicious' cyber-attack on Canada, allies