Cristiano Ronaldo will not play for Portugal's national soccer team in its next four matches, at Poland in UEFA Nations League play on October 11, a friendly against Scotland in Glasgow on October 14 and matches against Italy and Poland in UEFA Nations League play in November.
"In the future, nothing prevents Cristiano from giving his contribution to the national team", Portugal coach Fernando Santos said.
The former Manchester United forward remains committed to the national team, that has never been in question, although this announcement happens to coincide with the timing of a rape allegation having been made against the forward.
Santos said he spoke with Ronaldo since the allegations surfaced last week, but said "it was a personal conversation and I'm not going to make public what I spoke about with Ronaldo".
"In my name and on behalf of the Portuguese Football Federation, I express my total solidarity with Cristiano Ronaldo", Gomes explained in an interview with Lusa.
"Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in", said the 33-year-old Juventus forward.
Ronaldo to miss games against Poland & Scotland this month. "I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense".
"My clear conscious (sic) will thereby allow me to await with tranquillity the results of any and all investigations".
Police in Las Vegas have confirmed they have reopened an investigation into the case.
She wants the agreement to be declared void and said she gained the courage to speak out because of the #MeToo movement.
He said since the alleged sexual assault she has suffered from "major" depression and PTSD.
Ronaldo, Portugal's all-time leader in goals scored and a generational soccer talent, also did not play in the country's first two matches after this summer's World Cup, games that took place last month.
- Wife of Malaysia's ex-PM Najib charged with money laundering
- Windows Update Adds Ray Tracing, But Nothing Supports It Yet
- Russian spies charged for 'malicious' cyber-attack on Canada, allies
- Kavanaugh Accuser Still Hasn’t Submitted Evidence of Sexual Assault Allegation: Grassley
- Here are the first details of Jon Favreau’s Star Wars TV show
- 'I'm not interested': José Mourinho responds to Paul Scholes' criticism
- Ronaldo left off Portugal squad amid rape allegations in US
- Bruce being pelted with cabbage 'sums up society'
- Astronomers Discover a Distant Solar System Object - 2015 TG387
- Chinese spying microchips found in Apple, Amazon computers