Chicago (95-68) missed on a chance to host the NLD when they lost to the Milwaukee Brewers 3-1 on Monday in the one-game tiebreaker for the Central Division title. Corey Knebel got the win and Josh Hader picked up the save. The Rockies scraped out a run against Jon Lester in the first on a sacrifice fly from Nolan Arenado, but the Cubs ace kept Colorado scoreless through the rest of his six innings of work.
As powerful and red hot as this version of the Brew Crew is, Wrigley Field doesn't play favorites and just one bad game could place them back at Miller Park with their postseason future on the line. It is worth keeping in mind, though, that the Cubs have showcased throughout this season that they are capable of flipping the switch at any given time and playing better baseball than any other team in the majors.
The loser of Tuesday's game will see their season end.
A sizable portion of Milwaukee fans in the crowd of 38,450 chanted "Let's go Brewers!"
"We need to be ready to go", Yelich said. "We wanted to bring this home for them". He drove in Arcia with his two-out hit in the third.
The Cubs then managed just three hits Monday against Jhoulys Chacin and four relievers. But Rizzo led off with a massive drive to right for his 25th homer, tying it 1.
"That was the big moment", Counsell said.
Meanwhile, the Brewers delivered with 12 hits while pitchers were controlling the Cubs. The right-hander struck out three and walked two in another solid effort in a career year.
- Former classmate says Trump court nominee lied about his drinking
- Trump helped parents shield millions from taxes NY Times
- NAFTA REBOOT FOR DUMMIES: How does new trade impact Canadians?
- Manchester United extend winless run in dour stalemate with Valencia
- Trump mocks Kavanaugh accuser Christine Blasey Ford
- Jose Mourinho: Some Manchester United players 'lack technical quality'
- Donald Trump's new NAFTA: A fact-checker's guide to the trade deal
- Brewers' National League Division Series game times announced
- Bigg Boss 12: LoveYatri Cast Meets Salman; A Surprise Elimination
- Fan Bingbing Breaks Silence in Response to Government Fines