To which critics is Bezos referring? Sen.
Amazon has previously contested some of Sanders' claims, saying its full-time warehouse workers already make $15 when stock and bonuses are included.
"What Mr. Bezos today has done is not only enormously important for Amazon's hundreds of thousands of employees, it could well be a shot heard around the world", Sanders said.
On Tuesday, many Twitter users credited Sanders with successfully pressuring Amazon into raising its pay for direct and agency staff.
Bezos, by contrast, is believed to be worth upward of $150 billion.
Amazon, which became the second company to cross $1 trillion market value last month, on average paid employees $28,446 past year. But the bad publicity may have been enough to force Amazon to act.
Alongside increasing the minimum wage for its own employees, Amazon is pledging to work with policymakers in Washington D.C.to raise the federal minimum wage.
The federally mandated minimum pay hasn't risen since 2009. Overall, more than 250,000 Amazon workers will get a pay raise from this, in addition to more than 100,000 seasonal employees that the company hires at various times throughout the year.
Supporters say it's a remedy for widening wage inequality and will boost consumer spending, while opponents counter that it could reduce opportunities for employment, particularly for teenagers and others looking for entry level or low-skilled jobs.
Amazon will pay all of its USA employees a minimum of $15 an hour, more than double the federal minimum wage of $7.25.
Online retailing giant Amazon is raising pay for hundreds of thousands of workers in the United States and the UK.
Amazon, like other retailers, may also have concluded that it needs to raise wages to reduce turnover and attract better job applicants at the company's crucial network of package warehouses and for positions in Amazon's growing network of self-delivery operations.
"Now they're paying the living wage, maybe Amazon could pay their taxes too and do something to improve the working conditions people endure in their warehouses".
Saunders has a point.
Ultimately, there's more than one factor at play here.
In 2017, the average Amazon employee made $30,000.
- Canadian scientist Donna Strickland shares Nobel physics prize
- Elon Musk’s "Funding Secured" Tweet Just Cost Him & Tesla $40 Million
- Spielberg's West Side Story Remake Gets Baby Driver Star Ansel Elgort
- Vivek Tiwari's murder: UP Police issues rare apology, calls killer constable 'rogue'
- 'Red Dead Redemption 2' Gameplay Trailer Is Most Ambitious Yet
- Women's basketball to adopt new competition system from 2019
- US First Lady Melania Trump touches down in Africa
- Federal Bureau of Investigation grills second woman accusing judge Kavanaugh of sexual assault
- Democrats question Kavanaugh's credibility and temperament
- General Electric ditches boss John Flannery and takes $23bn hit