Monday, 22 October 2018
Latest news
Main » Waco wave pool closes after surfer dies from 'brain-eating amoeba'

Waco wave pool closes after surfer dies from 'brain-eating amoeba'

01 October 2018

Naegleria fowleri is known as the "brain-eating amoeba" and is usually found in warm fresh water.

The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is conducting tests on the water at BSR Cable Park, the Waco Tribune-Herald reported, and the park's Surf Resort has closed voluntarily as it awaits the results.

Parsons said Stabile had been in the park's wave pool.

Stabile returned to New Jersey and began suffering from a headache on September 16, according to the family's GoFundMe page.

Stabile was immediately rushed to the hospital in Pleasantville, New Jersey, where doctors first believed his brain swelling and fever symptoms were caused by bacterial meningitis. Once the amoeba enters the nose, it travels to the brain where it causes PAM (which destroys brain tissue) and is usually fatal.

It's unclear how Stabile contracted the brain-eating amoeba, but the BSR Surf Resort shut down Friday while the CDC conducts an investigation, Kelly Craine, Waco-McLennan County Public Health District spokesperson, told the Waco Tribune.

Infections can happen when contaminated water enters the body through the nose.

You can not be infected with Naegleria fowleri by drinking contaminated water and the amoeba is not found in salt water.

The Baylor Wakeboarding club team is scheduled to host a tournament next weekend at the surf resort. "BSR Surf Resort operates a state-of-the-art artificial man-made wave".

No other sites tested showed contamination, according to the water system.

"By the time Fabrizio was diagnosed, it was too late to administer the drug that had previously been provided to three of the only five known survivors in North America", the GoFundMe page said.

Waco wave pool closes after surfer dies from 'brain-eating amoeba'