Naegleria fowleri is known as the "brain-eating amoeba" and is usually found in warm fresh water.
The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is conducting tests on the water at BSR Cable Park, the Waco Tribune-Herald reported, and the park's Surf Resort has closed voluntarily as it awaits the results.
Parsons said Stabile had been in the park's wave pool.
Stabile returned to New Jersey and began suffering from a headache on September 16, according to the family's GoFundMe page.
Stabile was immediately rushed to the hospital in Pleasantville, New Jersey, where doctors first believed his brain swelling and fever symptoms were caused by bacterial meningitis. Once the amoeba enters the nose, it travels to the brain where it causes PAM (which destroys brain tissue) and is usually fatal.
It's unclear how Stabile contracted the brain-eating amoeba, but the BSR Surf Resort shut down Friday while the CDC conducts an investigation, Kelly Craine, Waco-McLennan County Public Health District spokesperson, told the Waco Tribune.Читайте также: Death toll from Indonesia quake and tsunami rises above 800
Infections can happen when contaminated water enters the body through the nose.
You can not be infected with Naegleria fowleri by drinking contaminated water and the amoeba is not found in salt water.
The Baylor Wakeboarding club team is scheduled to host a tournament next weekend at the surf resort. "BSR Surf Resort operates a state-of-the-art artificial man-made wave".
No other sites tested showed contamination, according to the water system.
"By the time Fabrizio was diagnosed, it was too late to administer the drug that had previously been provided to three of the only five known survivors in North America", the GoFundMe page said.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог
- Cristiano Ronaldo Finally Addresses Rape Allegations
- The Yankees set a new single-season home run record
- Elon Musk steps down as Tesla Chairman after Controversial Tweet
- Sen. Lindsey Graham Calls for Investigation of Democrats
- Tiebreak games needed to settle NL Central, NL West races
- American Bar Association seeks delay in Brett Kavanaugh nomination
- Krishna Raj Kapoor passes away at 87
- 'Machinari' makes European Ryder Cup history
- Steelers seeking second-round pick, player for Le'Veon Bell
- Trump and Trudeau agree on a revised NAFTA deal