The health department said Duet includes a component that causes resting mosquitoes to fly up and come in contact with sumithrin, which kills them.
In most instances, people infected with West Nile virus show no symptoms or relatively mild symptoms. Mosquitoes acquire the virus by feeding on infected birds.
County heath officials wanted to remind the public that West Nile Virus continues to be a risk until below-freezing temperatures hit West Michigan.
The health department says that preventing mosquito bites is the best way to avoid West Nile virus.
Limit time spent outside at dawn and dusk, when mosquitoes are most active.
On a personal level, Gallant said that residents should take measures such as wearing long-sleeved clothing and applying insect repellent with DEET or oil of lemon eucalyptus, among other types.
Maintain window and door screening to help keep mosquitoes out of buildings. You should also remove any standing water on your property. Mills said abandoned tires, bird baths, flower pots and wading pools are mosquito breeding havens.
Clean and chlorinate swimming pools, outdoor saunas, and hot tubs; drain water from pool covers. About 1 in 5 people who are infected with the virus become ill within two to 14 days, with symptoms including fever, headaches, joint and muscle pain, and occasional nausea and vomiting.
The health department will spray in portions of Lexington early Thursday morning. There have been no deaths from West Nile in 2018. The effort was funded through a federal grant this year after three West Nile fatalities in the region a year ago.
On September 3, a man in Bulgaria's second city Plovdiv was diagnosed with West Nile fever. To report a sick or dead crow, blue jay, or raven, please call the Dead Bird Reporting Hotline at 1-800-433-1610.
- Five reasons Liverpool will tear apart Chelsea on Saturday
- Danish Capital is Cut Off Due to 'Major' Police Operation
- Trump accuses China of 'interfering' in USA midterms
- Aaron Ramsey’s time at Arsenal coming to an end?
- New ANONYMOUS sexual assault complaint against Brett Kavanaugh emerges
- Aust to face Bosnia in Davis Cup qualifier
- Mourinho to Pogba: You are the anti-captain
- Kavanaugh’s interruptions of Democratic senators in hearing draw ire and support
- Woman bloodied by Brooks Koepka tee shot at Ryder Cup
- Hayabusa 2 sends back highest resolution images of Ryugu yet