The visitors broke upfield again on 35 minutes and Perez tested Thibaut Courtois with a low shot from 17 yards out after cutting onto his left foot, but Los Blancos finally breached their defence four minutes before half-time. Ronaldo has since scored two goals in his first five appearances for Juventus and was sent off on his Champions League debut for the club on Wednesday night.
"La Liga has very complex points along the way, This was one of them and the most important thing is that the team knew how to suffer and win. They also have the same coach and continue to consolidate the way they play", the Real Madrid boss said. Let us know in the comments section below. But what has hurt us the most is losing control.
Lopetegui rested Gareth Bale, Toni Kroos and Marcelo for the clash and Varane says winning can not come easy every week.
Ronaldo had an astonishing £1bn buyout clause in his Real contract, but Perez has been quick to state that the astronomical figure in Ronaldo's contract was just to make sure that the club can gain as much money for their star players, if they wish to move on.
More pressing for Julen Lopetegui will be the defensive slackness that made this arguably the least assured of the six competitive games he has overseen so far, including last weekend's draw away to Athletic Bilbao.
"I did not see the play very well because I could not watch the match, but everyone told me it was not (worth) an expulsion".
"We made it hard for them to find spaces".
Benzema had a resurgent start to the season.
Marcos Llorente could only fire straight at Lopez from 15 yards out after being played into space on the right by fellow substitute Mariano seven minutes from time, and the home fans endured a nervy finish as Espanyol applied late pressure.
Bale saw a deflected shot bounce off the crossbar shortly after the interval but got the goal he craved not long after, racing on to a raking pass from former Tottenham Hotspur teammate Luka Modric and arrowing in off the post in the 58th minute.
"Three Champions League wins are not by chance".
"We put him in because 48 hours ago there were people who could not train and we made decisions", Lopetegui said.
One player who has benefited from Ronaldo's exit is Mariano, who returned to the Spanish side after scoring 18 goals for Lyon in Ligue 1 last season. We are going to look and prepare everything.
- Tiny robots send home 1st photos from asteroid's surface
- China and Vatican agree to landmark deal on bishop appointments
- 49ers to work out former Texans quarterback
- These six siblings of a US Republican congressman just endorsed his opponent
- Power could be out for days in some areas, hours for others
- Oil Prices to Be 'Cheaper' if Trump Stops Tweeting, Iran Official Says
- Modric beats Ronaldo to FIFA The Best award
- Rosenstein expecting to be fired, heads to White House
- DHS to deny visas, green cards to immigrants if public assistance used
- Six Flags Fright Fest 30-Hour Coffin Challenge