He eventually cooled off for a five-under 65 and a three-shot lead over McIlroy, who fired a four-under 66, and Justin Rose, who carded a 68, at the East Lake Golf Course.
As Woods played the 18th hole with the win in sight, fans ran onto the fairway, following the sueprstar. A bogey at the ninth followed.
"I got off to a nice start and made some nice putts".
"It was a grind out there", Woods said. I think people maybe didn't realise they missed Tiger until now he's back. Other than number three, every putt was uphill, so it was nice.
"I felt hot early for sure".
Woods was noticeably emotional following today's win. "I've got a bunch of guys behind me that have been playing well and are playing well, and we'll see what happens tomorrow".
"I know the release point and I know how it swings and my body morphed into a position where it understands where it needs to be to release the putter", Woods said. That's a big difference.
This birdie on the 13th was enough to put Woods five shots clear, and demonstrated the kind of mood Woods was in.
He hadn't won a tournament since the 2013 Bridgestone International. It started hitting me that I was going to win the tournament and I started to tear up.
The 14-time major victor closed out a two-stroke victory by shooting a 71 in the fourth round Sunday at East Lake Golf Club in Atlanta. The 42-year-old had a spinal fusion in April last year, his fourth back operation, and...
Without that birdie, Woods would have won his third FedEx Cup title after starting at No. 20 going into the Tour Championship.
He fired a 62 earlier this month and has also done enough to force himself into the United States of America team for next week's Ryder Cup. It became official: Tiger Woods was back.
That comeback cemented itself atop the leader board next to a score of 11 under par, even after a 1 over par 71 on a grinding Sunday.
-Tony Finau finishing tied for third or worse.
- Two Hopping Robots are about to Land on Asteroid Ryugu
- The Texas Senate Race Is Now a Toss Up
- Corbyn says he would support second Brexit referendum
- Garoppolo leaves 49ers game against Chiefs on cart with apparent knee injury
- ME restaurant sedates lobsters with marijuana smoke
- Brexit: Jeremy Corbyn promises second vote if Labour members want one
- How to watch West Ham vs Chelsea online, TV
- Rodgers fears knee will get worse
- Tropical Storm Kirk of 'immediate concern' to BVI
- The Minnesota Vikings Had a Historically Bad Loss to the Buffalo Bills