Syracuse police continue to investigate a mass shooting on the city's south side Thursday night that left five injured, including an 8-year-old girl. Police believe that the victims were hit from across the street.
Police later said the shots had come from across the street, hitting the lawn where the victims had gathered for a memorial, United States media report. The names of the wounded have not yet been released but police say their age ranges from between 8 and 35 years old. News website Syracuse.com reported that children were among those shot, and that multiple ambulances were seen driving away from the scene with a police escort.
Fowler said he wasn't sure if the victims were shot inside or outside the home.
Neighbors told police that people had gathered outside the house during the vigil.
"This is a very tragic event", Fowler said.
According to local media they had gathered to celebrate the life of a deceased relative.
It's unclear if the shooting is related to another shooting that occurred one block away almost half an hour afterward, where a 14-year-old girl was shot.
The Syracuse Post-Stand reports that witnesses say they saw two to three possible shooters and heard at least 10 shots.
This story is developing.
- Bangladesh-Afghanistan turns out trivial
- Samsung Galaxy A7 with triple cameras announced, may come to India soon
- Jimmy Butler trade rumors: 10 potential landing spots
- Brexit was sold by 'liars': European Union leaders reject May's plan
- Russia warns US it is 'playing with fire' with sanctions
- K cops' murder fallout: India calls off meeting with Pakistan
- Flooding is sending unheard amounts of water through the Carolinas
- Don't worry, Google thoroughly vets the app developers who read your email
- Kavanaugh accuser Ford 'willing to testify' if certain terms met
- Trump questions why Kavanaugh accuser didn't call the Federal Bureau of Investigation after alleged assault