Health Officials remind residents to eliminate standing water on their property.
Most people (70 to 80 percent) who become infected with West Nile virus do not develop any symptoms.
(Undated) - Three human cases of West Nile virus have been diagnosed in northern Kentucky. "However, late summer and early fall is the time when the risk of acquiring West Nile virus from a bite actually increases".
The infection is transmitted by mosquitoes, with symptoms including fever, headaches, tiredness, an aching body, nausea and vomiting, as well as skin rashes and swollen lymph glands. "As long as mosquitoes continue to be active, we need to take precautions to protect ourselves from the virus". Those at greatest risk of severe illness are people over the age of 50 and individuals with weakened immune systems or chronic diseases. "Vaccinated animals are much less likely to contract deadly diseases such as EEE and West Nile Virus". To date, Nebraska has reported 79 cases with 42 of the cases being neuroinvasive.
Among the recommendations: use insect repellent containing DEET*, spray clothing with repellent containing permethrin, avoid going outside from dusk to dawn when most mosquitoes are active, wear long sleeves and long trousers when nighttime activity is unavoidable, eliminate standing water from flowerpots, clogged gutters, recycle bins, birdbaths, toys, swimming pool and hot tub covers. The three horses are unrelated and from different parts of the county and represent a recent spike in confirmed cases in Wyoming.
Locally, the health unit's surveillance program has shown that West Nile virus activity remains within local and historical norms.
- Google teases the Pixel 3 without giving much away
- Seahawks will sign ex-Browns LB Mychal Kendricks
- How the Waffle House is used to determine a hurricane’s fury
- Liverpool and Chelsea make Premier League history with ideal starts
- Jurgen Klopp furious over Roberto Firmino eye injury
- FEMA administrator under investigation for travel, use of government cars
- Can you buy flood insurance now that will cover damage by Florence?
- Florence rains wash away New Bern’s beloved statues
- 5 dead in Hurricane Florence, including mom and infant
- At Least 4 Dead As Super Typhoon Mangkhut Hits The Philippines