'I was that guy on the beach screaming "Shark, shark!"
A man boogie boarding off a Cape Cod beach was attacked by a shark on Saturday and died later at a hospital, becoming the state's first shark attack fatality in more than 80 years.
Great white shark sightings in Cape Cod have soared this year, with experts blaming increased seal levels close to the region's beaches.
The 26-year-old man from Revere was attacked as he was boogie boarding with a friend on Saturday afternoon at Newcomb Hollow Beach in Wellfleet, cops say.
The attack is the first fatal shark attack in MA since 1936, and the second shark attack this season. The Cape Cod District Attorney's office and the Massachusetts State Police are both investigating, Hurley said.
Mr Booth said others on the beach attempted to make a tourniquet while others frantically called 911.
Witness Joe Booth saw "a giant eruption of water 15 feet-wide".
Chris Hartsgrove, acting deputy chief of Cape Cod National Seashore, said the injuries appeared to be from a shark.
The man's death Saturday comes exactly a month after an August 15 shark attack off Cape Cod.
A swimmer has died from an apparent shark bite off the coast of MA in the northeastern United States, a police report on the rare incident said. Lytton suffered deep lacerations on his leg and torso but was able to break free by punching the shark in the gills.
On Saturday, with sunny skies and warm temperatures, Newcomb Hollow Beach was busy, even though summer season was over and lifeguards were not on watch. The beach has since closed, according to the Associated Press.
Last month, the same outlet reported on a warning from Nathan Sears, a natural resources manager and harbormaster in the town of Orleans, Massachusetts.
"It is truly unfortunate that this had to happen", Beaty said. Great white sharks, apex predators, inhabit the waters off the Cape. "[We work] under the assumption that there are always sharks in the vicinity of the swim area".
- Chelsea vs. Cardiff City - Football Match Report
- Browns to release troubled receiver Josh Gordon
- BMW’s autonomous R 1200 GS motorcycle is a safety equipment testbed
- State health officials issue threat declaration against West Nile virus, EEE
- Trevor Noah, Stephen Colbert Respond To Donald Trump’s Claims About Puerto Rico
- Tottenham 1-2 Liverpool
- Russia is peace-loving state: Putin
- 'Relentless rains' continue as Florence almost stalls over Carolinas
- Hurricane Helene ‘THREAT TO LIFE’ warning - United Kingdom to be hit on MONDAY
- Volkswagen to end production of iconic Beetle in 2019