A flawless start through five games is not unheard of in the Premier League as Chelsea themselves have done it four times, though both of Liverpool's previous five-for-five came in the old First Division.
Chelsea rarely relinquished control from that moment on, but it wasn't until substitute Willian won a penalty in the 80th that the Blues put the game beyond doubt.
Chelsea maintained their 100% start to the Premier League season by brushing aside newly promoted Cardiff City 4-1 at Stamford Bridge earlier today.
Manchester United and Arsenal stay six points off the top after 2-1 wins at Watford and Newcastle respectively.
"We need to improve, but we are able to and can improve very quickly".
Kovacic was forced off in the second-half.
Terry made 702 appearances for the Blues, winning five Premier Leagues, four FA Cups, three League Cups and a UEFA Champions League title. Leaving no scraps for the forwards to pick off behind a rigid defence, he made life very hard for Chelsea's attackers as they looked to produce clear-cut chances.
There's a busy spell ahead for Chelsea, which includes their first Europa League games of the campaign and two ties with Liverpool, and so both are likely to see some minutes even if Giroud might have assisted his way to the front of the pecking order. I don't know. I have to speak to him.
However, Cardiff's failure to significantly strengthen over the summer means they are liable to being outclassed at this level and were undone by the brilliance of Hazard.
Hazard scored a penalty in the 81st minute after Bamba brought down Willian in the area, and Willian rounded off a satisfying afternoon for Chelsea, who moved top on goal difference, with a dipping shot from outside the area. Giroud laid on the assists for the first two of his teammate's three goals on the day.
- Crude soars to $80 per barrel
- Watch a livestream of Hurricane Florence bearing down on North Carolina
- Florence rains wash away New Bern’s beloved statues
- FEMA administrator under investigation for travel, use of government cars
- Where will Hurricane Florence hit: Myrtle Beach, SC, predicted for landfall
- Jurgen Klopp furious over Roberto Firmino eye injury
- State health officials issue threat declaration against West Nile virus, EEE
- Seven hurt in Greek island beach rockslide
- Tottenham 1-2 Liverpool
- Seahawks will sign ex-Browns LB Mychal Kendricks