Prosecutors allege that Bird strangled his girlfriend, a college student, a dozen times during the altercation.
The police report from the incident says Bird threw the woman against a wall and continued the attack for roughly four hours.
His appearance in court was delayed because Bird was on guarded watch at the local hospital, according to reports.
She also said that Bird kicked her multiple times in the stomach and dragged her away from the door when she tried to leave, before shutting her into a bathroom.
Prosecutor Khyati Short had requested a $100,000 bail for Bird, but the judge compromised by requiring $50,000 cash and a $50,000 assurance that would become due if Bird does not show up for his next court date. She then told a member of the Celtics organization, who passed it onto the police and checked in on Bird while the victim was receiving treatment at the hospital.
Bird's lawyer, former federal prosecutor Brian Kelly, said that his client "understands the seriousness of the allegations" but that there are two sides to the story.
Celtics' Jabari Bird appears in court on domestic violence charge, prosecutors reveal details of alleged incident
He is apologizing to his family, the Celtics, his teammates, fans and the National Basketball Association "for the unnecessary distraction that I have caused".
"I do not condone violence against women", he said. "She said Bird texted her that he would kill himself if she didn't come back".
Before being drafted by the Celtics, Bird played for the Cal Golden Bears and was a McDonald's All-American while playing for Salesian High School in Richmond.
Bird, in a statement to The Athletic's Shams Charania, said he's stepping away from the Celtics "indefinitely" as he deals with his legal and medical issues. Pursuant to Domestic Violence Policy in the NBA's labor agreement, matters of this kind are handled by the League Office, not the team, and so the Celtics will be working with both the league and local authorities to assist in their ongoing investigations.
Boston drafted Bird in the second round of the 2017 NBA Draft. Last season he signed a one-year, two-way contract and spent most of the season with the team's G-League affiliate, the Maine Red Claws. He appeared in 13 regular-season games for the Celtics last season, averaging 3 points per game.
- NHC downgrades Florence to still unsafe Category 3 hurricane
- Hurricane Helene ‘THREAT TO LIFE’ warning - United Kingdom to be hit on MONDAY
- Nigerian Finance Minister Adeosun resigns over forgery claims
- Game Freak’s New IP Town Coming to Nintendo Switch in 2019
- Accused Russian Hit Men: We Were in Salisbury for Sightseeing, Not Poisoning
- Losing Speed, Tropical Storm Florence Will Continue Slowly Through The Carolinas
- Experts disagree on whether Dallas officer could be credible
- Man dead after suspected shark attack at MA beach
- As Florence weakens, live surf cam videos show impact on Carolinas
- Jurgen Klopp furious over Roberto Firmino eye injury