Cleveland stood by Gordon through multiple suspensions, including two full seasons he missed due to multiple violations of the league's substance abuse policy.
"This afternoon we informed Josh Gordon and his representatives that we are going to release him on Monday", Dorsey said.
Gordon, who has played in just 11 games since 2013 due to substance abuse issues, caught one pass for 17 yards in Cleveland's 21-21 tie with the Pittsburgh Steelers last week, but it was a big one.
"For the past six years, the Browns have fully supported and invested in Josh, both personally and professionally, and wanted the best for him", Dorsey said in the statement, "but unfortunately we've reached a point where we feel it's best to part ways and move forward".
Things did get bumpy though once the Browns went to training camp. Things smelled amusing as he didn't travel with the team like the other injured players and Aaron Goldhammer of ESPN Cleveland even tweeted a lot (in all caps) was going on now with Gordon.
The Browns selected Gordon in the second round of the 2012 Supplemental Draft. In 2014, Gordon was suspended for the whole year, but it was later reduced to 10 games.
Despite his past issues, Gordon was welcomed back by the Browns late last season. A report emerged from NFL.com shortly after the Browns' announcement that how he injured the hamstring after being healthy at practice on Friday played a part in the decision to release the receiver. Additionally, thanks to some interesting service time rules, Gordon would immediately hit free agency rather than go through waivers if the Browns cut him loose.
- Florence rains wash away New Bern’s beloved statues
- Jurgen Klopp furious over Roberto Firmino eye injury
- Presidential emergency alert system text coming next week
- 5 dead in Hurricane Florence, including mom and infant
- Delhi cop’s son beats up ex-lover, click to see the beast
- Bob Woodward will release 'Fear' audiotapes if sources ask him
- Liverpool and Chelsea make Premier League history with ideal starts
- Seven hurt in Greek island beach rockslide
- Seattle Storm sweep Washington Mystics to capture WNBA championship
- Watch a livestream of Hurricane Florence bearing down on North Carolina