"I knew Nacho in Spain when he was playing in Osasuna and in Malaga".
Also, I think he is working for the team to help us with his quality.
Ozil's retirement from worldwide football came after he made claims of racism from the German football association.
All players on worldwide duty last week returned in good health and are available for selection, Arsenal said.
The Gunners' first game after the worldwide break is against Newcastle United, and Emery feels it's an opportunity for Ozil and many others to get a fresh start.
Arsenal's German midfielder Mesut Ozil (R) celebrates scoring his team's second goal during the UEFA Champions League football match between Arsenal and Bayern Munich at the Emirates Stadium in London, on October 20, 2015.
Granit Xhaka continues to split opinion among the fans as while he's so important to our build-up play, he is a liability when we're not in possession. I look at him with the focus totally here.
Gazidis made the decision for Emery to succeed Arsene Wenger, having overseen a restructure at the club by bringing in head of relations Raul Sanllehi from Barcelona and former Borussia Dortmund scout Sven Mislintat as head of recruitment.
"Every conversation with him is speaking about us and about our work here every day", he said.
"I think we need to find a new contract with him to stay with the Arsenal team".
- Alli, Lloris to miss Liverpool match
- Forza Horizon 4 Hands-On
- Landslide at famed Greek 'shipwreck' beach injures 7
- Marcus Rashford 'to fight for Manchester United place'
- CLOSINGS: Several schools close ahead of Hurricane Florence
- Pope orders investigation into United States bishop
- Meghan Markle labelled 'duchASS' by angry sister Samantha
- Supermarkets cited in crackdown on e-cigarettes
- Financial Times: EU to give Barnier mandate to close Brexit deals
- 'Life-Threatening' Hurricane Florence Is Barreling Toward the Carolinas